Awa'Atlu

Myst thankfully stayed at the surface, knowing my emotions based on previous actions and the feeling of my heart beating hard and fast throughout my whole body. I kept as much of a close eye on everyone above as I did everything possibly below. I haven't spoken a word with any of them, only sharing glances with my family and Neteyam and glares with the others.

    Once we get close enough, a loud horn blows, startling both Myst and I. I gently rub her as we continue forward. The others get there first, Tonowari yipping and cheering as they land after circling the landing space. Once they get on land. I don't like the way everyone surrounds them, and I certainly don't like the way one particular woman, heavily pregnant, is rushing towards them. I nudge Myst forward and hop off quickly, almost running and weaving through everyone until I reach mother, Kaelen, and Neteyam.

    I watch as Quaritch hugs a human child, probably our age but definitely smaller, maybe just above my waist. He has painted on stripes and wearing a loincloth of his own. His hair is in dreads like Jake, who is currently hugging what I assume is his rather large family.

    A woman who looks like Jake and their children looks at us, "Ma Jake, who are they?" I look back at them as they still sit on their Ikran, something I stay far away from while still staying close enough to keep them behind me and protect them, should I have to. 

    Tonowari announces to the watchers, "My people! Today, we have been blessed by the great mother herself! She has brought back loved ones, thought to have left us long ago. Jakesully, the crowd is yours."

    I watch carefully as Neteyam gets off of his Ikran at his fathers silent request, urging him to come to him. Once he's close enough and in sight of everyone, the woman who asked about us rushes to him. My fists clench, ears and tail flick in uncertainty. He's getting too close to the large group around us. I'm sure his father and what it seems to be mother wouldn't hurt him, but you can't promise that for everyone else, and I'm not letting mother's hard work of bringing him back be for nothing with them killing him.

    Jake announces loudly to the crowd, "People of the Metkayina, my son has returned to us!" 

    And it's all thanks to my mother. Don't forget to mention that, douchebag. That's a word that I learned on accident from mother when I was younger.

    The crowd cheers loudly, making me want to cover my ears.

    The pregnant woman from before approaches him and his happy family, "Welcome home, Neteyam. Eywa has truly blessed you."

    "Eywa sent me to some amazing people who saved me. They, along with Eywa, have blessed me with this gift," he says while shaking his hand. We lock eyes as he finishes, "Without them, I would not be here." My heart temporarily swells before stopping inside my chest. I'm definitely sick or dying.

    Tonowari walks past me to Mother, holding his hand out for her to take. She rightfully ignores it and grabs Kaelen's hand before walking ahead of me, her hand taking mine as well. 

    We walk towards the woman that I'm most wary about, our heads down. If it were me I'd hold it up high with my middle finger, but mother's squeezing hand makes me keep that urge in check. She knew.

    "Ronal, my love. There is someone you should see."

    "Please, lift your heads." 

    I'm the first to do so, making sure that my stare is as hard, icy, and disrespectful as my intentions are. She doesn't seem to like it as she looks into them, but still looks on in curiosity. Kaelen is next, his stare nicer than mine but still hard as he, I'm sure, is remembering his and mother's past here.