Annoyed

Kaelani's POV

    It's been three days since Neteyam came back. He and Kaelen are best friends, practically brothers with how they're acting. With each day, my annoyance grows and worry bubbles. I've stayed in the trees, making sure that nothing bad happens and that they just stay happy until it's time for Neteyam to leave. But as much as I want it to just be us three again, I can't help but clutch my chest at how sad Kaelen will be.

    Here, Kaelen doesn't have any friends. Neteyam is his first one. It'll hurt Kaelen to lose that one and only friend, and I don't want him to get hurt. All of these feelings never came up before Neteyam got here. I growl at my own thoughts, huffing as I lean my head against the tree watching them.

    Kaelen hands Neteyam his loincloth before disappearing towards my area. I watch as he glides up the trees and is now in front of me. I look at his hands and see two more loincloths. I take the one he hands me and let my fingers trace over the patterns, "Mother made this?" He nods, "For us and Neteyam. A farewell kinda thing." I just nod.

    After a quiet moment, I ask, "You trust him, don't you?" He asks back, "You don't?" I just clench the cloth in my hand. He points out, "He hasn't done anything to prove otherwise." I snarl slightly at myself, "I know. But. . .Kaelen, what are you going to do when he leaves? Are you. . .are you going to leave with him?" 

    He insists, gently making me look at him, "I would never leave you or mom. I won't be happy that Neteyam is gone, but maybe he could visit. Either way, little sister, there is nothing in this world that would make me leave you." 

    He always calls me little sister because I'm shorter than him, but like with how close in age we are, we are close in height. He's just lucky that he's taller. I would call him out on this if my heart hadn't felt so tight. 

    We lay our foreheads against each other and let out a deep sigh. 

    Our attention snaps towards the sound of a grunt, looking down to see Neteyam wondering in after a butterfly-like animal that we have here. Kaelen jumps down instantly, going to Neteyam. I watch with narrowed eyes. 

    Both boys start talking, Kaelen asking what Neteyam is doing. "What is that? They were seen rarely in my old village before, but I've never seen one myself." 

    "Kaleidoscope Butterflies. There's many here. I heard there were a few in the Metkayina, but I guess you all are too focused on the water." Neteyam looks to where the bioluminescent beauty wandered off to. 

    They're about to head back when we hear a clicking sound and turn to see a wasp viperwolf, and a big one at that. We've spotted a small pack before but they're never at this part of the forest, and they've never gone after someone like this before. Their bite can kill you in minutes. 

    The boys start to run and I quickly follow, getting lower down each tree as quickly as possible. There are many roots and holes in this part of our tiny but thick jungle, so Neteyam, understandably continues falling every few steps, just narrowly missing those sharp teeth each time. 

    When he falls for the last time, I jump down and whack it with my bow hard. It doesn't hurt it or do much damage, but it lets it back off a few steps. Kaelen helps Neteyam up, knowing not to get in the way right now. 

    The both of us, me and the Wasp Viperwolf, stand our ground, letting out a territorial hiss. When it jumps, I use my bow to keep it up from crushing me and swinging it down in the direction of its jump onto the ground. It rolls back after letting out a whimper, hissing once again.