Just breathe

"We've been paged lockdown." Arizona breathed out slowly.

Amelia felt her heart stop, she knew that this had happened before, but had never experienced it. Arizona had been through it, and managed to survive.

Lockdown meant that they shut themselves in the department. And that meant that Amelia and Arizona were stuck together in the Paediatric ward, with Meredith and Addison.

"OK guys. Dr Grey and I have been through this before, we need to stay on this ward, and keep calm. There are four doctors here and six nurses. Ten of us. Luckily it's a slow day, there are only twelve kids on this floor, so we're going to move them so that there are four kids in a room, it makes them easier to control, got it?"

Everyone set to work, and Amelia started delegating. "OK, Maddison, Jamie, Jodie, room one. Arianne, Tony and Layla room two. Robbins, Grey, Montgomery, you're with me room four."

Addison, Meredith and Arizona headed straight to room four and Amelia followed after she'd grabbed everyone's phones.

BANG!

The first gunshot echoed through the hospital as the children started crying. The four doctors each took a child, hugging them close and calming them.

"Hey Nat." Amelia held the three year old girl in her arms, being careful not to squash the IV. And Arizona couldn't keep her eyes off the younger, beautiful Shepherd.

The kids all fell asleep in due course and were placed back in their beds. Arizona placed earbuds in all their ears to block out any more shots.

Meredith and Addison were a couple, and everyone around the hospital knew it. The two of them were holding each other in the corner next to the cupboard. Meredith was holding the red-head's head on her shoulder.

BANG!

The second shot sent Amelia into Arizona's arms, cowering in fear. The blonde held her and rubbed soothing circles over Amelia's hands.

"Th-thank you." Amelia said, hearing a third shot and hiding her face in Arizona's neck.

Arizona's heart was racing. The girl she had fallen in love with was hugging her, seeing her as a protector. Arizona had been in love with the brunette for around a year, but never gotten the courage to tell Amelia. Sweet, beautiful Amelia, who could do no wrong in the eyes of the paediatric surgeon.

"Mer, I'm scared." Addison said.

"I know baby, it's scary, but we're gonna be ok."

The taller woman replied. "I love you. And you can't die on me, cause I love you. So I don't want any of this 'shoot me instead' shit, cause I need you alive, alright?"

"Got it."

Amelia was breathing shakily in Arizona's neck, detecting the fast pulse.

"Arizona, your pulse is racing." Amelia placed her hands on the carotid, feeling a very fast heartbeat.

"Yeah, uh, I, um, just nervous."

Amelia nodded her head, whilst Meredith and Addison shared a knowing look. Meredith said. "Nervous about the shooting? Or nervous over someone?"

Arizona stuttered, opening her mouth and then closing it again. Amelia finally caught on.

Whilst Amelia fully knew that during a lockdown due to a shooting was the wrong time to make a move of any kind, she was also very very bored.

"Got a crush on someone, Robbins?" Amelia grinned, shuffling closer to the blonde.

"Uh, I, I don't." Arizona took a deep breath. "Maybe."