9. A Proposal

Pallavi had locked the shop and placed the keys in her purse. All the other shops in the mall had long closed but she had stayed back to finish some office work. She had long sent everyone home, including Krishna. Walking in the silent mall was definitely eerie than she expected. Luckily, the exit was close to her shop. She walked quickly out of the doors - barely acknowledging the security guard at the exit. It was when she was out in the open that she paused and took a deep breath.

She was about to call Aayi when her eyes fell on him. He was casually leaning against the car and staring at her. Her heart skipped a beat, as she looked back at him. Hoping he wasn't here for her. Started walking downstairs and to the right of street.

"Pallavi"

His voice made her stop. She turned to face him again. He was away from his car now. Hands in his pant pocket waiting for her. Sighing she took a few steps towards him.

"Yes?"

"I came to see you - I told you I would"

Her heart flipped, she squashed down the feeling.

"I don't want to see you" She folded her arms.

He smiled "Lie"

He raised his hand to push her hair behind her ear. It was a simple touch - yet her body reacted to it.

"Do you think I cannot tell  when you lie." He moved close to ear. "Or do you think I don't know what you feel?"

He moved back from her, only slightly. "Let's go have some coffee. I want to discuss something with you."

"It's late - I need to go home" She turned around and started to walk when his hand stopped her. He held on to her arm and slightly pulled her back so that she fell on his chest.

"We can have the discussion in a coffee shop surrounded by strangers or at your house surrounded by your family. The choice is yours"

She moved off his chest and took a few steps back. Luckily he didn't stop her this time. "Fine. Let's go there" She pointed towards the coffee shop across the street.  She took steps towards the road when his hand stopped her again. He stood next to her and intertwined their fingers together.

She ignored the feeling in her stomach and proceeded to free her hand. He held steady.

"I can cross the road by myself"

"I know."

That's it nothing else. He guided them across the road in silence. Inside the shop he choose the table away from people and pulled out a chair for her. Once they were seated, a young server came up to take their orders. They placed their orders and sat in silence. He looked at her and she looked at everything else but him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He wanted to be irritated at her. She was purposefully not paying attention to him. Yet all he could think about what grabbing her face and kissing her senseless.

"What?" She asked finally

"Nothing. I have just thinking about kissing you"

She pinked with embarrassment.

"Listen Mr. Rao."

"Raghav"

"Mr. Rao I don't know.."

"It's Raghav. You can either say it. Or I could find a way to make you say it - kissing would be one option"

He could see the anger on her face. Yet she didn't let it bubble out. She contained it and spoke calmly.

"Leave me alone please!"

"That is beyond my control! Trust me I have tired."

"I am not a part of your world. My life is very simple. I am not naïve, I know what you want from me. I am telling you simply. I cannot"

He did not say anything as the server came back to the table with their coffee. Then he leaned forward slightly.

"You have no idea what I want from you. You have a inkling that is it."

"Am I wrong?"

"No. You are not wrong. Plainly speaking I do want you in my bed."

He heard her small gasp.

"I do not lie or hide my motives behind flowery words. I am what I am. With me you will get truth, no matter how unsavory it is."

He took one of her hands in his.

"There is something between us. Have you not felt it?"

She was about to speak  when he interrupted.

"The truth would be appreciated"

She looked at him. Then at their hands. He had started to rub small circles on the back of her hand.

She did not look up but whispered. "Yes"

He did not like her looking down as if ashamed.

"Look at me Pallavi."

She looked up at him. "It isn't something shameful. The spark that is between us is rare. As such it should be appreciated."

She moved her hands from his hold and picked
Up her coffee cup, took a small sip.

"It doesn't change the fact that I will not act on anything between us"

"I am not here to drag you off to my bed Pallavi." He smiled hoping she would smile too. She did not.

"Why are you here?"

"I couldn't stay away. I wanted to see you so I came to see you. I also came to ask you to dinner."

She was shaking her head in a no before he finished.

"Okay"

She looked at him surprised. Clearly not expecting him to agree.

"Don't be surprised. I will not force. Atleast not on this. Your consent is important. I will not force myself on you. Neither will I try to blackmail you. Or buy you."

He paused for her to understand. "However I will persuade you. Tempt you. And pursue you"

"Can you please just leave me alone. I don't need any complications in my life."

"I cannot do that Pallavi."

"Why. I am sure there are many woman that want to be with you. They wouldn't even require any persuasions."

"They are not you and I want you Pallavi."

"I do not.."

He stopped her. "Do not make any decisions now. Take time and think carefully about what you want. You - Pallavi not what other people want you to want."

"I am not as free as you. I have to think about others"

"You can be as free as you want. If you are willing to fight for yourself"

She shook her head. He knew she wouldn't agree in one day. There was no use forcing her to listen.

"It's getting late. We should go." He stood up as the server came running to them. She was again surprised at him.

He held out his hand for her. She paused for a second before placing it. It was a small victory for him. As they walked out of the shop she did not pull away from him. Neither did she argue when he tightened his hold on her hand while crossing the street. He stopped at his car and turned to face her. He tugged at her hand to pull her closer to him.

"I would offer to drop you home, but I know you will decline. So in exchange I will settle for this."

Before she could process he pulled her flush against him and held her in place. He bent his head against her ear and whispered. "Goodnight Sweetheart. Until next time."

And placed a kiss on her cheek.