8. A Connection

Vaasu leaned against his car. It was blistering hot outside but he sipped on his hot chai looking Chacha. The man must be 70 years old by now if not more, yet he worked as tirelessly as before. He saw another street rat walk up to the stall and as always Chacha handed over a plate of food and water to the boy.

He remembered his own youth when he was the street rat. Difference was that he had walked upto Chacha late at night with a knife in his hand, intent on robbing the old man. He hadn't robbed anyone that night. Instead he had taken his first steps away from his life on the street.

He moved away from the car and headed back to Chacha when a suddenly a child crashed into him. Luckily he still had some of his street reflexes, he managed to grab the runt's neck and stand up again. The kid was struggling to break.

"Stop"

Immediately he froze and looked up at him. He started to tremble with fear.

"Let him go"

He heard a angry voice and looked over to see a gorgeous woman in a ugly saree staring back at him. Glaring would be a better term. The longer she looked him the angrier she became, the more she glowed.

"He is just a child, let him go"

"He crashed into me. I am merely holding him."

"It was an accident, now let him go - he is scared."

He let the child go. He immediately ran towards the woman and hugged her. He couldn't fault the child, given a choice between himself and the woman, he too would run towards her.

She immediately hugged him back. The child was dirty and ended up staining her saree. Yet, she did not care. She comforted the child. She was bent to his level and was speaking to him softly. After a minute he held out the small wallet he had in his pocket. He moved closer to the pair.

"You shouldn't steal. Where are your parents"

The child shook his head.

"If you tell me I can help"

Again he shook his head

"Are you alone?"

He shook his head.

"Answer her" He interjected

The kid looked at him in fear again. The stuttered that his father hadn't come home in few days and his baby sister was hungry, then proceeded to cry.

Immediately she hugged him again. Throwing him an angry look.

"Take me to her"

She stood up and offer her hand to him. He placed his hand in hers and started walking.

He followed the pair. They had walked a few steps before the woman turned around.

"Why are you following?"

"I can help"

"we don't need your help Mr."

"Vaasu. Oh really what do you plan on doing? Going to the police?" He laughed.

"Yes, their father is missing. The police find people"

"The police will not waste their time. My people can find him faster."

"Why?"

Rather than answer - he motioned for Sawant to come.

"He will take the child and will collect information to find the father"

The woman was shaking her head before he finished. "I wasn't asking, I was informing. The boy trusts you. Tell him to go with Sawant and he will bring them back. It is in their best interest."

Something must have stuck with her. She agreed and bent down to speak with the child. After a little convincing, he agreed, as long as she waits for him. She nodded her head and pointed towards the car.

Sawant stepped forward and picked up the child in his arms and walked away. He motioned for her to join him at the car.

"Shall we?"

She walked to the car silently. "You scared him"

"Sometimes a healthy dose of fear is needed. He answered your questions, didn't he?"

"Can you really find his father?"

"Yes."

"What about the children?"

"There is a place - an orphanage that they can stay at until we find their father."

"You can't just drop them off there, do you even know the place?"

"I know who runs the place. The children will be cared for. You can come with us and make sure everything is fine."

"Why are you helping?"

"Why are you?" He asked without answering.

"He is a child in need"

He smiled. "You can't be too nice in this world. All you will get in return is pain"

She stared at him "Personal experience?"

He did not answer, rather changed the topic. "We have spoken for a while now, but I don't know your name"

"Pallavi"

He held out his hand "Well, Pallavi - I don't know why but I feel like we are connected."

"There is no connection - I just want to ensure the children are taken care of."

"Say what you may, but my gut is rarely wrong - there is connection"

She gave him an irritated look and he laughed.