ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 14

Start from the beginning

"That hurts," she whines at the redhead.

"WHAT?!?! HOW?!" They both turn around and see Dom return to the race, even though his head is still bleeding from the previous accident.

"Dom!" Minu calls, even more worried.

THE TWO REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE MONSTER AND TRIDENT CREWS!! THEY HAVE ALREADY ALMOST REACHED THE FINISH LINE!!

"IT IS NOW SOMETHING BEYOND SIMPLE PRELIMINARY RESULTS; A BATTLE BETWEEN THE TWO RIDERS' PRIDE!!"

"NOW THERE'S AROUND A HUNDRED METERS LEFT!! THEY HAVE LIFTED THEMSELVES TO THEIR LIMITS!!"

They pass the finish line, neck to neck.

"MONSTER HAS COME IN FIRST PLACE IN THE PRELIMINARIES WITH THE TIME OF 4 MINUTES AND 7 SECONDS!"

"THE MAIN RIDER FROM TEAM TRIDENT HAS COME IN SECOND BY A DIFFERENCE OF JUST 0.31 SECONDS!!"

"THE OTHER RIDERS ARE BEGINNING TO RUSH IN BEHIND THEM!"

The pale girl still can't calm down beside Vinny; the redhead is too focused on the big screen. The phone in her pocket vibrates, and she clumsily grabs it, looking at a notification from Owen. She ignores it and shoves it back into her pocket without even looking at the message he sent.

"I SEE ONE CYCLIST RIDING ALONE AROUND 800 METERS FROM THE FINISH LINE."

The drone focuses on a certain cyclist. Yara holds her breath; she never thought Dom could still ride even when he's heavily injured.

"RIDER TWENTY-THREE!!"

"THERE IS NOT EVEN A MINUTE LEFT NOW."

"HE LOOKS BADLY HURT FROM THE ACCIDENT IN ZONE B. IT WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR HIM TO FINISH IN TIME."

Clenching her hand, she regrets it deeply. She knows the future yet she still didn't do anything to prevent Dom from getting hurt. She hates herself.

Everyone watching couldn't believe what they just saw. Dom passes the finish line with an unsteady and exhausting body; he looks down due to being so exhausted that he doesn't realize he's about to collide with the crowds.

"DOM!" Yara calls out; the boy immediately snaps out and tries to stop the bike from going any closer to the crowds, making it skid really bad and crash. Yara is the first one to run up towards him before the rest follow.

"Excuse me!! Passing through!" Yara hurriedly excuses, passing through crowds to get to where Dom is. Once she reaches him, she immediately holds his torso and makes him sit up while hugging him sideways.

"It's alright; don't cry," she comforts the crying dude, even though Dom is covered in sweat and blood. Yara ignores it and keeps holding Dom. The rest catch up with them with worried faces.

"H-He's not dead, is he?" Minu asks, trying to catch his breath from running.

"Dom! Wake up!!" June shouts, walking towards Yara's side, who is holding Dom.

"Are you okay??" Shelly asks in a worried voice.

Yara notices Dom clenching his fist, crying even harder, holding onto Yara.

"THIS IS.. THE LAST TIME THAT I LEAD THE TEAM.. F##K!!" He screams.

On the board, Dom barely got in with the time of 05:29.97.

"You did good, Dom!" Yara finally smiles, letting out the breath she's been holding the whole time.

"Now, let's get you treated."

After Dom gets patched up, the bandage covers almost half of his face, starting from the right forehead, trailing down towards his right ear, and another bandage on his right cheek. He zones out.

Earlier

As soon as he declared that it was his last time representing the team, he throws up all the things he ate, and Yara barely dodged it if Minu didn't grab her away from the throwing-up boy.

Back to the present

"Heya~ nice work, Dom!! But are you sure you don't need to go to the hospital?" Minu asks the boy while putting his hand on his shoulder, making Dom scream in pain. Yara chuckles.

"OWWW, DON'T TOUCH ME! I'M SORE ALL OVER! I ALREADY FEEL LIKE PASSING OUT FROM PUKING. STOP LAUGHING, YARA!" The pale girl laughs harder.

"Hey hey, now," Yara smiles, wiping the forming tears in her eyes from laughing.

"Dom, you threw up because you were riding in an anaerobic state to produce a momentary burst of power," June explains. Everyone looks in his direction.

"It happened because the organs in your body were lacking oxygen," he continues.

"Anaerobic?" Minu asks, confused.

"I was riding anaerobic?" Dom also asks, confused.

"The kind of exercise that your muscles do can be largely divided into aerobic and anaerobic exercise," he explains further. Yara also silently listens intently; she knows all this stuff since she herself is a solo pro cyclist in her world. She also went through those things when she began training; the memory is still vivid when she first threw up in the past. The hair on her hand raises from the sudden recall, and she grimaces.

"Dom, you could also become a beast worthy of challenging Monster if you were able to use more than a hundred percent of your white muscles," June says after the lecture.

"A hundred percent of my white muscles.." Dom mutters, clenching his knee. The drink is suddenly stretched towards Dom, who is thinking deeply. He glances up and sees Jay.

"You could damage your hamstrings if you train too hard right now, so you should take a break for a while," Jay declares.

"T-Thanks.." Dom thanks, then accepts the drink.

"Hey!! what's gotten into you? You're not that kind of character..?!" Minu complains.

"What about me?!!" Shelly adds, making Jay annoyed.

Yara smiles at the scene before her.

.

.

.

𝔗𝔬 𝔟𝔢 ℭ𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔲𝔢𝔡