"Sowi." Ada sat on the lounge chair next to Genevieve and shrugged. "Had to deal with something." She cleared her throat and stared at her shoes. "Can we talk?"

"Talk?" Genevieve frowned. Now that she thought of it, Ada was acting pretty strange. For one, she wouldn't meet her eyes. And she looked uncomfortable—twiddling her thumbs and appearing hella contrite.

"What's eating you? You look uncomfortable in a sad way."

"I do?" Ada buried her fingers in her curls and groaned. "Gosh, I'm so not cut out for this. Teddy must be insane to think I can do this."

"Hey," Genevieve sat up and swung her legs to the ground. "What's the problem? Does it have to do with the match? Is there a way I can help?"

What the hell are you saying?

Hey! It ain't my fault. Look at those big doleful eyes. Who can resist that?

"You mean that?" Ada asked, her hands dropping from her mused hair. "You'd do that for me?"

"Sure, if it's something within my ability. I'd love to help."

Ada sighed so hard that Genevieve felt second-hand relief. "So, I have to learn how to be a therapist."

"Huh?" That was not what Genevieve expected. "Is that a cupid requirement?"

"Yeah." Ada nodded earnestly and shifted to the edge of her seat. "Can I tell you something about me? Promise not to laugh."

"I promise," Genevieve replied and meant it. Whatever this was, it seemed important to Ada. If she couldn't help her in the area of making a lasting relationship happen between her and Ray, she might as well help in other areas.

"I tend to forget stuff I'm taught pretty fast."

"Okay."

"In the two years of my training, part of what we were taught was how to be super good psychologists. You know, therapist stuff."

Genevieve's brow climbed up. "That's interesting." How wild was this? Cupids had a governing and advanced education system. How deeply do cupids affect relationships around—

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Sorry, my thought went west for a sec. You were saying something about being a therapist."

Ada clasped her hands in a begging stance. "Pleasepleaseplease, can I use you to practise? I really need this skill to advance, but it's hard for me."

"Sure," Genevieve answered without thinking. It sounded kinda fun.

"Huh?" Ada gawked at her.

"What?"

Blinking repeatedly, Ada shook her head. "I just... I thought it'd be harder to convince you to help me."

"Come on. The least I can do is help."

"Thank you," Ada said with her brow bunched and eyes shining with gratitude. "You'd have to be patient with me, though."

"Certainly," Genevieve answered with a nod.

"Wow... Okay. We'll also have to pretend it's a real therapy session," Ada tentatively added with a wince.

Genevieve gave Ada's attire a pointed look. "Is that why you're dressed like that?"

"I'm serious, Genevieve." That imploring look returned. "Even though you're helping me out, you have to honestly answer my questions. I want to get this right."

Wasn't this situation ironic? Only a few weeks ago, her mum had gone on about having a therapist, and Genevieve scoffed in disbelief. Now look at me, playing pretend therapy. "No worries. Since it means so much to you, I'd be honest with my answers and generous with my time."

"Wahoo!" Ada leapt to the sky, glorious pink wings flashing into existence and shedding feathers as she flew about, hooting in excitement.

Genevieve couldn't help laughing. It was a delight to watch Ada be... Ada.

Ada's wings folded and flashed out of sight when she landed in front of Genevieve. She did a little wiggle, her smile so bright Genevieve found herself smiling, too. "You're the best, Genevieve. You're the best human ever. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

"You're welcome." Genevieve stood and stretched before making her way back to the house. "Oh," she paused at the door. Since she was being honest from now on, she might as well tell Ada. "I asked Ray out about an hour ago."

"You what!" Ada's voice rose by an octave.

Laughing, Genevieve fled inside with a pissed cupid in tow.

***

Raymond had just finished taking a shower when the call came in. Martins.

"Older brother."

Raymond winced. Whenever his brother started a phone conversation with that line, it meant an unwanted duty was imminent.

"What's it now?"

"First, how's it going?" There was the sound of mouse clicks in the background; Martins was probably still at work. Raymond felt kinda bad but wasn't sorry. Taking this trip was a fantastic idea, but he wasn't too sure about Borno. He had resolved not to think too deeply about that part.

"It's okay. Managed to get some work done. You got my email?"

"Yeah. I'm asking about the trip. How's that going? Wanna know if I should laugh or envy you ."

Raymond chuckled. During the period he had been neck-deep in grief and self-destructive habits, Martins had temporarily taken over the older brother role without complaint. During those years, both Martins and mum had treated him with a gentleness he wasn't sure was what he needed at that time. It was only when his father came into the picture and dished harsh ultimatums that Raymond pulled himself from the pool of his filth.

"It's..." Raymond searched for the right word. "I think I needed a break."

Martins groaned. "Now I envy you. You need to hurry back, though; I'm doing my best here, but things are getting tough.

"When are you guys leaving?"

"In three days," Raymond walked over to his window just in time to see Genevieve get off a pool chair and stretch. It was certified at this point—his favourite thing was looking at her. He forced his eyes away.

"And how long is she planning to stay in Borno? Dad has some of his people there, so you shouldn't worry too much about security."

"Hmmm." Misgiving still lingered, but as Raymond had done before, he refused to worry. "Two days, I think... hopefully."

"So we're looking at less than two weeks before you resume." Martins released a big sigh. "I needed a definite timeframe. Thanks. Back to the main reason I called."

Raymond could tell already. The probability of him disliking what he was about to say was nine out of ten. "Tell me."

There was a long pause at the other end of the line. Worry gripped Raymond's heart, squeezing hard. "Come on. Spit it out, already."

"It's mum."

________________________________________________________________________________

Yo! Vote and comment. I love those. 💕