Chapter 4. Impasse

There is written verbal abuse/abusive parents in this chapter, as well as light discussions about mental health and anxiety. Please do not read any further if these topics are sensitive to you.

 Please do not read any further if these topics are sensitive to you

⊰ ♔ • • • • • • • .·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ . • • • • • • • ♔ ⊱

Arguing about me?

Wooyoung leans into the couch, pulling his knees closer to his chest as he wraps a blanket tighter around himself, trying to think into the admission of San's sudden outburst.

"Can we. . . pause for a minute?" Wooyoung says quietly, avoiding San's gaze.

"Yeah." San agrees easily, not a trace of hesitation within his tone.

Wooyoung wanted to pry and ask as to why he and his girlfriend had been arguing about him, but they weren't close enough for that conversation yet. He felt entitled to know, but only partially, even though it only drives him to think into Sun-hee's strange behavior even further.

"Why do you even hate me, San?" Wooyoung brazenly asks, hoping for a change of subject.

"That's. . . a loaded question."

"I want us to be able to coexist and try to be helpful to one another. I don't want to wake up and hate you anymore. I want to get over this so we can both stop being so damn miserable."

"That's fair." San adjusts himself in his seat slightly, turning his gaze away. "My parents painted an awful picture of you when I was young. Ever since our parents had been at odds, I was always forced to see his painted picture of you, one that made you look to be judgemental and cold, maybe also a bit egotistical and narcissistic. They had always spoken about your parents badly, but one day they started dragging you, too. They made me see the bad things about you. But after all of this, over time, I started to see something different."

Wooyoung watches San the entire time he speaks, taking in his sharp features and the complexity of his tone. He was being honest, a certain softness laced into his voice as he talks, brows slightly furrowed as he thinks just as much as he speaks, nearly careful to not say anything harmful.

It hits him like a truck when he realizes how gentle San had been recently. Curious about his whereabouts, offering to buy his dinner, taking note about how tense he seemed during outings to the office, not to mention holding his hand during an anxious breakdown and calming him down afterwards. Wooyoung feels his heart thump against his chest, wondering why all of his bundled resentment suddenly fizzles down into something else; something he can't exactly place.

"I felt bad for seeing you the way they wanted me to see you. Why they agreed to the whole marriage is beyond me, but they're insistent that I keep you around and that I try to make things work. I didn't want to for awhile, because we had been at each other's throats for days on end after we moved in together. But now, I just feel bad for treating you that way. Sun-hee isn't helping much, either. She's been a driving force of my attitude lately, only because when we're apart, we never stop arguing."