Chapter 2

School is so boring. The day was going by super slow. Minji and Hyewon are sitting at the back of the classroom. It's only 10:30 am. That means an hour and a half till lunch time. Minji regretted only eating that toast for breakfast this morning. Her stomach is rumbling already and she didn't bring any snacks today. Hyewon must've heard her stomach because she pulled out some pocky to share with her. Minji silently thanks her and goes back to paying attention in English class. It's their last class until lunch time and the their teacher, Ms. Tiffany Hwang has been excitedly talking about the next book they're going to read. Something about star-crossed lovers and romance. Minji wasn't really paying attention as she's thinking about the lunch menu for today. She remembers it's Tonkatsu day, she needs to get there early or they'll run out and she'll be stuck with a caesar salad or something. Minji shudders with that thought.

After English class ended, it was time for a break. There is break time before lunch so the staff can help prepare for lunch. It's a fairly big school and lots of students so most of the staff helps out with the meals. Minji and Hyewon were spending their break time strategizing on how to get to the cafeteria faster to beat the other kids in line.

"Sup ladies, whatcha guys talking about?" Bangchan, the Australian boy says as he pulls up a chair beside them.

Bang Chan transferred to Ador Academy in his last year of Elementary school. Surprisingly, he acclimated to the school fairly easily given that he's a pretty friendly guy and everyone loves him. He's part of Hyewon and Minji's friend group but he's a social butterfly so he's usually floating around in different friend groups. His main group of friends are Minji, Hyewon Chaewon and Felix. Felix and Chaewon are the Kang sisters' cousins so naturally they're with Hyewon. Even though Bang chan is new to the group, they've welcomed him with open arms and have been close ever since.

"We're talking about the best way to get to the cafeteria before all the tonkatsu is gone" Hyewon answers him with a serious expression.

"Ooooo, i like the way you think Kang" says Chan as he leans in closer. Loud whispers could be heard in the back of the classroom as Hyewon and Chan argue about which one is the quickest route. Minji has been watching them bicker for about 5 minutes and is honestly so entertained with her friend's arguments on why their way is better.

"Having a secret meeting without me?" Felix says with a pout as he pops up beside Minji. Minji laughs and tells Felix about the plan and what the two were arguing about.

"Why not just use Chan as a meatshield and just have him ram through everyone in the way" Felix suggested with a laugh. Obviously joking. Right?

"FELIX! YOU'RE A GENIUS!" yells both Hyewon and Chan. Everyone in the classroom looks at the back of the classroom. Hyewon hugged Felix, Chan putting Felix in a headlock and Minji just shook her head.

"Wait, I was just kidding with that idea. We can't use you to bulldoze people, Chan. People can get hurt and we'll get in trouble." Felix says as he tries to get out of Chan's grip.

"If it's for Tonkatsu, I say it's worth it" Hyewon argues back. Chan nodded his head with enthusiasm. Felix looks at Minji for support and Minji just looks at him, smiles and shrugs.

"Minji, aren't you going to try and stop them?!" Felix asks with an exasperated sigh.

"Nope. You know how they get when they have these ideas locked in their heads. It's like arguing with a brick wall." Minji answers nonchalantly. She knows how her friends are. Felix is usually their voice of reason. While Hyewon and Chan are the ones with the crazy ideas. Minji is just there for morale support and sometimes is part of the two with the crazy ideas.

"Why not head down there earlier than everyone?" Chaewon, Felix's twin says as she puts her stuff away on her desk. She sits right in front of Minji and Hyewon so she has heard their conversation since the very beginning.

"This is why she's the smart one between the two of you" Chan says to Felix. Felix just rolls his eyes and gets up.

"Where ya going?" Chan calls out to him.

"Downstairs to the cafeteria" Felix says as he makes his way to the door. Minji, Chan, Hyewon and Chaewon all get up and follow him.

They get to the hallway and see that the other students also had the same idea as them. They rush downstairs to beat the crowd and are disheartened when they see that there is already a big line ahead of them.

"Well the line isn't too bad, I guess. More than what I expected but at least we're not in the back" Felix says to the group. Minji and Chaewon hum in agreement. Hyewon and Chan grumble about how they should've just bulldozed everyone in the way.

The line has started moving. Everyone was excited. Their mouths were basically watering. They can smell the Tonkatsu in the hallway and are looking forward to eating their favorite school lunch. As they get closer to the front of the line, they see Haerin walk down to where they were at.

"Hi guys!" Haerin greets the group warmly until she locks eyes with Minji. Her smile fades, she turns around and talks to the person beside her.

"Thanks for saving me a spot Ni-ki" Haerin says to the boy. She smiles at him and tucks a stray hair behind her ears.

"Of course, it's no problem, Rin," Ni-ki says to her. Minji notices that he's red. Like his whole face was red. Even his ears. Weird. Is it hot in here?.

"Unnie!" Minji turns her head forward and see's Hyein with her group of friends. They already got their food so that means Hyein was ahead of her this whole time but didn't realize it cause she was preoccupied playing Honkai Star Rail on her phone.

"Hi Hyein" Minji smiles at her. Hyein usually eats with her friend group and just says hi to Minji and Tae when they see each other at school. Minji tries to say hi to Hyein but sometimes avoids Hyein at school. Not because she doesn't like her own sister but because Hyein is best friends with her best friend's little sister. The "evil one" "spawn of satan" "the dark spot of an overripe avocado" or "It" really just depends on that day or what Haerin has done to her.

The line has been moving a lot faster and it was finally Minji's turn to get her food. She was so looking forward to this meal. The toast this morning and the snacks her and Hyewon ate in class are long gone. She was starving. As she gets to the front, the staff looks at her and tells her that they were out of tonkatsu and she has the option of either  get a salad now or wait 10-15 minutes for the tonkatsu to be made. Lunch is almost over, she can't wait that long.

Minji was devastated. Her tonkatsu. Gone. She walked dejectedly to the table her friends were sitting at. Salad on one hand and irritation on the other. She takes a seat and slumps hard on the chair. Looking at the salad in front of her with much disgust.

"Stare at it long enough and it might turn into a Tonkotsu

Minji whips her head up and sees Haerin laughing with her friends. Minji was fuming. If Haerin didn't come when she did, she'd have her tonkotsu. Haerin took her Tonkotsu. Hyewon notices Minji staring hard at her little sister. Hyewon shakes her head at Haerin and Haerin just rolls her eyes at her.