Chapter 1 - A Delinquent named Makoto L. Katayama

Hyakkaou Private Academy isn't like the other schools in all of Japan. Founded 121 years ago it's a prestigious educational institution where students from powerful families in the political and financial world attend and are not evaluated by studies or sports, but through the social status they possess, basically meaning studies and extracurriculars are not necessary for people who are destined to have power over others. To survive in this school, it's important to be well versed in tactics, such as reading an opponent, and the strength to grasp victory which are abilities needed to prove and obtain through the only possible way.

Gambling.

Initially, gambling in Hyakkaou was more of a way to pass the time or after-school activities but that all changed when a first-year high school student transferred and on the same day gambled with the student council president at the time. When she won and became the new president, the blue-eyed deviless had the entire school in the palm of her hand. Gambling became more rampant and a system that consequently increased discrimination among the students was created, the implied message of said system was that those who weren't good at gambling were miserably oppressed and the victors were treated as royalty.

That brings us to the school's majestic front gates as a lone messy black-haired teenage boy of average height with black eyes behind a pair of glasses and pale skin stood in front of them, a noticeable feature about him aside from the piercings in his ears or the small tattoo on the left side of his neck is the shadow below each of his eyes. Like every other student, he wore the standard-issue uniform with some minor alterations to suit his dressing preferences, leaving the red blazer with black trim that lines the cuffs, and collar and has gold buttons for decoration open, a black button-up shirt underneath with the top unbuttoned, displaying a chain necklace around his neck as well as a pair of gray-black colored school jeans and brown loafers. He had a rather laid-back posture, one hand shoved inside the jeans pocket and the other held the schoolbag over his shoulder.

"So, this will be my new stomping ground?" He sported a wide smirk at the mischief he couldn't wait to rain upon the whole place. "I can't fucking wait."

.

.

.

Mary Saotome was at the top and it felt damn good for someone with such an unremarkable background, born into an ordinary family with no wealth and solely attending the elite academy on a scholarship. Her main goal ever since childhood has been to become a true winner, something that's also important for her strict parents since they've always encouraged her to be friends with richer kids. In Mary's eyes, that was the way how losers tried to suck up to the winners and it made her stomach twist ever since she thought of it.