𝟑𝟎 | 𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐥𝐲

The guys spent too much time preparing their apology for Julie. There are only so many times you can here three guys sing "We're sorry" in harmony. I never thought I'd see Julie walk through the garage doors.

Unfortunately for them, and my ears, their time was wasted. Julie was not in a forgiving mood and had no interest in the gig the guys had signed up for.

"So, this means a lot to you, huh?" Julie asked. "Kind of how playing in front of my whole entire school meant a lot to me."

"Sounds like sarcasm," Reggie gasped. "I'm starting to think our plan isn't working."

"I mean," I shrugged. "She has a point."

"Shut up, Ruth," Reggie whispered. "You didn't go either."

"I didn't need to," I informed him. "You're all just too lazy to poof up your own gear."

"Guys, c'mon," Luke pleaded. "Give it up."

"Look, we know we messed up," Alex admitted.

"But we need you in the band," Luke explained.

"Of course you do," Julie said. "Because without me, no one can see you guys playing. You know, I thought that the music that we were writing was special, but you're too obsessed with your past to even care."

"I do care!" Luke exclaimed. "Our band has a real chance at greatness. I'm not gonna let that get away from us again."

"Uh-huh, right," Julie rolled her eyes. "So then why did you bail on me to get back at Trevor?"

When Luke didn't answer, Julie continued. "I'll tell you why. 'Cause there's only one thing you care about, and that's yourself."

Julie stormed off. Luke just stood there, speechless.

"Dude, she didn't mean it," Alex reassured him.

"I'm starting to find that hard to believe," Luke shook his head and vanished.

"Shit," I said. "This is all my fault."

"No, we all lost track of time last night," Alex shrugged.

"No, not that," I turned to face them. "After the party, I didn't want to come back here, so I went to Julie's. We were both mad at Luke and I told her everything that happened - everything I said. But I didn't mean it, I was just upset! So was Julie."

"Well, from my perspective that's the second time Luke has heard that in the space of a few hours," Alex explained. "And that probably isn't the best thing to hear."

"Oh my god, you'r'e right," I sighed. "I need to fix this."

"We'll come with you - "

"No, Julie's still really mad at you guys," I explained. "I'll go talk to her. Just wait here."

———

Julie was sitting on the sofa in the lounge doing her homework.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," She replied stiffly.

I sat down on the couch next to her and peered into her copy. "Algebra?"

"Arithmetics," Julie corrected as she scribbled down some more numbers.

"Well, clearly I can't help you with that," I laughed, but Julie didn't. "Look, Julie - "

"I know what you're gonna say Ruth," Julie closed her copy. "That Luke really isn't that bad and that he's actually - "

"I wasn't gonna say that."