𝟒𝟗 | 𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐬

Luke noticed my hesitation and made his way over to me.

"Ruth, come on," He smiled.

I shook my head. "No. I can't."

"Why not?" Luke asked, not letting the concern in his eyes overtake the tips of his grin.

"I just ... can't."

Luke placed a hand on my cheek, whatever Julie had done had made him feel warmer. "What's going on in that mind of yours?"

My plan was falling apart under Luke's touch. That was expected, but now Julie's magical touch had thrown everything out the window. I stood there, stuttering, not quite knowing how to get myself back on track. I had to go, and Luke had to let me.

"Luke," I breathed. "You have to let me go."

Luke dropped his hand. "What are you talking about? Look, just give Julie a hug and we'll have more time to figure this out, alright?"

"Please don't make this harder than it already is, Luke."

"Ruth, what are you talking about?"

"I think we both know I'm not supposed to be here."

The others had turned around to join our conversation.

"What are you talking about, Ruth?" Alex asked, concerned.

"After we died and went to that weird dark place," I shrugged. "You guys started to jolt and disappear. That didn't happen to me."

"But that's how we ended up here," Reggie said. "So, how are you here?"

"Luke dragged me with him," I turned to Luke. "I'm not trying to blame you, Luke. I asked you to take me with you and I'm so glad I came here with you guys, but we both know it wasn't supposed to happen."

Luke was lost for words. "What are you trying to say, Ruth?"

I cupped his face, the way he had cupped mine so many times. "You have to let me go, Luke."

Except this time, he understood and pulled me in for a hug.

"I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go, but I have to."

"There has to be another way."

I pulled away. "Luke, I don't think the universe left any loopholes for us."

"But we found one before," Luke countered. "You're here."

"I am," I acknowledged. "But I need to go, crossover, crossunder, wherever the hell I'm supposed to go, I need to go there."

Luke nodded.

I reached for my notebook and tore out a page, crumpling it up and stuffing it in my pocket. "Take this. You can read the black ink."

"I will," Luke promised.

I pulled away from Luke and went over to Alex and Reggie. We shared a mini, tearful, group hug.

"I'm gonna miss you guys so much," I cried. "Thank you for changing my afterlife."

"We'll find you again," Alex swore. "When the time is right."

"Yeah," Reggie agreed. "Can't let you get away that easily."

I let out a small laugh before approaching Julie.

"We already said our goodbyes," I said.

"We didn't share a hug, though," Julie opened her arms to me, and I accepted.

The guys expected something to happen, but I knew nothing would. I went right through her. I pulled away and wiped my tears. It was too late for me.

I made my way over to Luke for the last time.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

Tears fell down Luke's cheeks. I wiped them away.

"Give me that," I said, referring to my notebook.

I filled out the last page, leaving no blanks. I even went to the very back and wrote one final note. I closed it and handed it back to him once I had finished.

"Keep this and I'll always be here," I said. "Look at that last page when you need a reminder of me."

Luke nodded. "I'm ready."

I pulled him in for one final hug and felt his warmth guide me through the air.