𝟎𝟕 | 𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐧

I felt bad for upsetting Luke, so I took a wild guess and headed up to the roof. It had gotten a lot darker outside, but I could just about make out his silhouette as he sat with his arms around his legs with his head perched on his knees.

"Hey," I said softly.

"Oh, hey," Luke replied, looking up at me before returning his gaze to the distance.

"Look, I didn't mean - "

"No, don't worry about it," Luke cut me off. "I'm just a little upset."

"I mean, you were just kicked out of your studio," I reasoned. "I would be upset too."

"I guess it's not our studio anymore."

Silence fell over us as Luke stared out into the night's sky. I quietly sat down next to him. I couldn't even begin to imagine what was going on in his head. Not only was he dead, but he no longer had a place to call home.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Nothing," He replied. "Just looking."

I could just about see the outline of a house in the direction he was looking in.

"Maybe we could buy it some day," I suggested, to which Luke raised an eyebrow me, causing my cheeks to go red. "We as in me, you, Alex and Reggie."

"Oh, right," Luke mumbled.

"I think Julie would be down too," I joked, causing Luke to laugh.

A comfortable silence fell over us once again as we observed the night sky. The deep navy blue reminded me of the top my mother used to wear when it was cold out. It was a woolly knitted jumper. There was nothing special about it, but the thought of never seeing it again made my eyes water.

Luke looked over and wrapped an arm around me. I placed my head on his shoulder.

"The sky is pretty comforting right?" Luke suggested. I could hear his voice shake.

"What do you mean?"

"Well," He cleared his throat. "Whenever I look up, I like to imagine the person I'm missing is looking up at it too."

I felt a tear fall on my cheek, but it wasn't my own. There was a brief moment of hesitation.

"Who are you missing?" I asked.

"My mom," Luke replied, wiping a tear from his cheek.

I sat up to face him. "I'm missing mine too."

"Yeah, we uh," Luke sniffed. "We didn't exactly leave on good terms."

I pulled him in for a hug and let him sob into my shoulder. I cried into his in return. Sharing the pain made it easier.

If we didn't have each other, I don't think we would've made it far.