CHAPTER 8 - CAMILTON

The sun arose once again telling the whole world that it is the beginning of another day. Veronica got off from bed and looked at her side to see Ife sleeping soundly. She smiled as she tried to wake her up.
"Come on, wake up, we need to head out" she said, "five more minutes"
Ife said as she should turned over; "no we need to head out now, for goodness sake is 8:00 a.m." Veronica urged her and she dragged her out of bed. "fine"
Ife said feeling tired. As they went downstairs they bumped into Amare, he seemed pleased to see them.

"Good morning" He said
"Good morning" The girls replied

"Headed somewhere ?" He asked as he could see Veronica was in a rush. "Yep" She said. Amare wished them a safe journey as he saw them off. The streets were bustling has Veronica and Ife walked through them. "So what now ?" Ife asked; " Well we need to retrace our steps and you are going back to my hometown which is now a mess of course" Veronica said. "But how will you get in, have you forgotten ? You wouldn't be able to enter because you weren't allowed" Ife queried.

"That's where you come in" Veronica said as she grinned  ear to ear. "You'll help me with a disguise", "okay if you say so"  Ife replied. As they walked, veronica's mind began to wander, she thought about her childhood friend and colleague, Mj and her guardian, Diana. "I wonder how she's doing now" 
She thought. They stopped at a place where carriages and wagons could be seen, she signaled to one.

       "Where are you off to Missy ?"  The Wagoner asked
        "Camilton sir" Veronica replied. "Well come on in missy"  the Wagoner said. As Veronica boarded the wagon, Ife asked her if they are there yet but Veronica said no saying that they just got into the wagon( Ife minimized herself to fit into veronica's pocket)  . "Well hello Missy, where you off to ?" Veronica looked up and saw an old man sitting beside her " oh well, Camilton good sir" .

       "Camilton ? Why there ? That place is nothing but ruins"  The old man stated, "well it's a long story" She said. The old man looked at her for a while but later broke the silence, " you know, song with say let the past be past but you can still go ahead, but don't fight over something if you know you don't have control over it" .
        Veronica was shocked by what he said it was as if he knew why she was going to Camilton. They didn't say anything after that and rod in silence. After a few hours, the wagon came to a stop, "Sorry missy, this is how far I can go" The Wagoner said. Veronica told him that it was fine and paid. She watched the wagon as it rode off, then, Ife flew out of her pocket and returned to her normal size. "Have you ever met that old man before ?" She asked; "I don't know" Veronica said but decided to brush the matter off and focus on what is more important. They walked for while and finally arrived at Camilton, they saw a sign that read "Off limits " along with dwarfs who sees to be guarding the place.

       "You know what to do"   Veronica said and she looked at Ife, Ife nodded and used magic to put a facade so that they won't be caught. She also use the same magic to create a disguise for Veronica. It changed her hair from black to brown, her eyes from blue to Green and her outfit what's the form of a light green dress. "How do I look ?"  Veronica said she twirled, "perfect" Ife said "let's go, I don't think this facade magic will last long."
       The place was truly in ruins, no sign of life, only withered trees and dead soil. As they continue to walk, Veronica began to recall the event that took place 6 years ago.
            "  Camilton, her hometown mostly abilitics live there, one day, a strange illness started and it spread rapidly among them. Then, an apothecary said that there is a cure but before It could be released bandit came to attack the village capturing some of the abilitics, it was only by God Grace she didn't die."

        Apparently,  when she was 15, her adoptive mother, Diana showed her a letter in which her mother wrote to her all right to find out the truth about the incident. Saying that the so-called it was just a bandit attack is a lie and there is more to it. This prompted her to find out the real reason, she also wondered why her mom left on the same day of the bandit attack and hasn't returned ever since that day. "VERONICA !!!" She became startled and looked up to see Ife looking at her with a worried look on her face.

           "Is everything okay ?" She asked, "yeah, it's fine, I was just lost in thoughts" Veronica said "okay, by the way, why don't we start by checking the ground for any clues" Ife said. They both check the ground for some time, while checking the ground, Ife stumbled on something hard.
       "Ow"  She yelled
        "What ?" Veronica said as should rushed over to ife's side upon hearing her scream. "Looks like I hit a rock, ow it hurts" She groaned. Veronica looked at what she stumbled into, seeing it was quite shiny she picked it up and looked at it, it was a metal, it had a silver color and an engraving of a red rose. It was beautiful. "I wonder what it is, it's so pretty" Ife said in awe, "yes it is" Veronica said agreeing with her; she kept it in her pocket as you could serve as a clue later. They were about to search further when Amare called  her tell. ( Tell similar to a phone in this world ).

       "Hello" He said
        " Hey what's up Amare"
        " Oh well, Maybelle called us saying she has a job for us"
        'okay be right there" Veronica said that she cut the call. She looked at ife and said
      "Let's go, we'll come back another time"