Chapter 12: Blast from the Past

Start from the beginning

I snorted when they looked a bit taken aback. "You two did it to yourselves, you know?"

Boil seemed to realize that as well, turning to his brother. "You heard him Waxer."

Obi-wan wasted no time in getting to the wall, his saber at the ready. I followed close behind him, my two sabers deflecting shots here and there to cover for Waxer and Boil, who were moving from tree to tree behind me. We ended up pretty close to the wall, taking cover behind a boulder.

"Let's take them out. Now!" Obi-wan commanded.

Waxer took out a droid popper and threw it, but it fell short of the wall. I nudged Obi-wan. "You should give it a little push."

He nodded. "Good thinking. Try again Waxer."

When Waxer threw again, Obi-wan used the force to push the popper onto the wall. It took out the droids on the right side without a hitch. A second popper quickly followed, after which the fire completely seized.

Taking out the rest of the droids beyond the wall was a piece of cake, and the city was not that much further out.

The city we entered was like a ghost town. All the houses were abandoned, and only a few lucky ones were still standing. Fear was wafting from every street and alley, from between the cracks of the destroyed homes, seeping from the very ground we were standing on. It was unnerving to say the least, the familiarity of it most of all.

I shivered, making Obi-wan turn to me, an eyebrow quirked up.

"Don't you sense it, master? The fear?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest to stave off the chill.

He nodded after a moment, releasing a sigh and putting a hand on my shoulder, sending some warmth across our bond. "Yes, fear is something that will always follow us in this war. But we are here to help these people, don't forget that."

I nodded, forcing myself to focus on the determination of our troops and the hope that we would bring to these people.

We would stave off the fear. Right?

"The wall is secure, sir. Are we moving on to the guns?" Cody asked as he approached the two of us.

Obi-wan shook his head, rubbing his beard in thought. "We need to know what the droids have in store for us. Send your best men to scout ahead."

"Will do sir." Cody saluted, about to take off when I stopped him.

"Master, could I join them?" I asked. Obi-wan gave me a questioning look but did not stop me from speaking up. "I can sense a large group of signatures further into town. They're all grouped together somewhere in that direction." I explained, pointing to the plume of smoke rising above the town. "I could lead them to it. Maybe they're keeping the guns in the same spot."

That, and I was itching to do something, it was like the fear was crawling under my skin.

Obi-wan contemplated it for a second, before nodding. "All right. Cody, take Maxine with you."

"Yes sir." Cody repeated, before turning to two very familiar clones standing close by. "Waxer, Boil, you're with me and commander Aura."

Boil shrugged playfully at Waxer as Cody and I walked past. "I guess we're the best."

And so, the five of us: Cody, Wooley, Waxer, Boil, and I, made our way through the abandoned city, creeping through the streets, blasters and saber at the ready. The palpable fear was not just affecting me now, even the troopers looked unnerved by the fear and tension in the air.

"Buildings are just buildings." Cody started, breaking a long stretch of eery silence.

I chuckled slightly. "I don't think it's just the buildings that are creeping you out."