Chapter 4

In the resplendent rays of the sun enveloping the time-honored pathways of the Venkateshwara temple in Srivilliputhur with their radiant warmth, a scene of ethereal enchantment unfolded before the temple pilgrims. Amidst the serene environs, a juvenile girl of six summers pursued a vibrant butterfly with unbridled delight and innocence, her laughter resonating like melodious chimes in the gentle breeze. "Chellam, be cautious," came a solicitous voice, yet her eyes gleamed with undiminished joy as she persisted in her pursuit.

This girl was none other than the cherished offspring of Vishnuchittar. Endowing his daughter with the appellation "Kothai," signifying the bestowal of the earthly goddess, Vishnuchittar nurtured her with tender care akin to Maharaja Janaka's upbringing of the illustrious goddess Sita. Just as Sita brought boundless joy to Maharaja Janaka, so too did Kothai bring immeasurable delight to Vishnuchittar.

Interestingly, this remarkable maiden not only brought joy to Vishnuchittar but also to the denizens of Srivilliputhur. Her celestial smile and captivating eyes, reminiscent of lotus pools capable of ensnaring one's soul, exuded an aura of divine purity. Her laughter, akin to the mellifluous strains of a Veena serenaded by Saraswati herself. Her complexion, reminiscent of the golden hues of dawn, was believed to bestow prosperity upon those who beheld it. Indeed, her visage bore resemblance to that of the moon itself, as if she were the embodiment of lunar radiance.

The townsfolk stood entranced as Kothai's laughter danced upon the breeze, intertwining harmoniously with the distant peals of temple bells. Her vivacious spirit and unbridled curiosity acted as a luminous beacon, captivating all who beheld her, drawing them into the orbit of her carefree demeanor.

As Kothai meandered through the intricately carved pillars and verdant flower gardens adorning the temple precincts, whispers permeated the crowd, echoing tales of her extraordinary affinity with nature and the benevolent aura she emanated.

Venturing into a secluded garden within the temple complex in pursuit of a particularly elusive butterfly, Kothai chanced upon an ancient statue veiled amidst overgrown foliage. This effigy depicted Padmavathi Thayar, renowned for bestowing blessings upon those who steadfastly believed in her divine grace.

Intrigued by the statue's serene countenance and graceful form, Kothai felt an inexplicable allure drawing her closer. With childlike wonder and unwavering faith in her heart, she closed her eyes and murmured her deepest yearning. "Vimalām, Viśvajanīm, Duṣṭim, Dhāritya Ṇāśinīm | Prīti Puṣkarīṇīm, Śāmdām, Śuklamālyāmparām, Śriyam," she intoned. Her words resonated with the wisdom of learned Rishis and Brahmacharinis, for she herself embodied the essence of Vidya Laxmi and Vedavati.

"Pāskarīm, Philvanilayām, Varārōhām, Yaśasvinīm | Vasumdarā, Mudārāṁkām, Hariṇīm, Hemamālinīm," responded a serene voice. Rolling her eyes playfully, Kothai turned around. "Appa, I was just about to convey it!" she protested charmingly. Vishnuchittar chuckled, amusement twinkling in his eyes as he indulged his daughter's whims. The radiance in her eyes seemed to reflect the celestial constellations themselves, an embodiment of cosmic splendor. Vishnuchittar sighed, beholding his daughter's beauty, grace, and intellect, marveling at her divine endowment. "Appa, I beseeched the esteemed goddess for permission to wed her consort!" she chirped gleefully, her eyes crescents of joy akin to those adorning the locks of Umapati.

Vishnuchittar was taken aback! He had not anticipated such a response. His astonishment gradually morphed into apprehension and concern. "Thangame! Such aspirations are not fitting! Only Thirumagal herself is worthy of being consort to Perumal! Forsake this notion, my dear!"