Chapter 13 Friday, August 4th: Drowning

Beginne am Anfang

"I mean it. Leave her to me," I told Frank, giving him a look that it was the end of the discussion.

Disappointment spread over his face. But he said no more, he just stumbled back out of the house.

"What now?" Liam asked me as if I had all the answers to the universe.

"Now, I get laid," I replied and also headed out after Frank into the garden.

I found Becky still waiting for me in the pool house.

"Thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth," she told me. She had assumed a sexy pose on the bed and gave me an inviting smile. She might be just what I needed to forget what had happened in my room.

I gave her my best smile and locked the door behind me.

The time seemed to pass by so slowly. I couldn't wait to get away. All around me, people were having fun. Loud music beamed through the speakers. I served drinks and counted the minutes.

And the evening dragged on and on. But, without any further incidents. Which made me suspicious. Frank kept his distance. Josh was no longer to be seen anywhere. Liam was coming and going. A few guys dropped by to flirt with me, but I mostly froze them out and just continued to serve drinks to anyone that would approach.

Luckily, Blake stayed away from me also. Every time I caught his gaze on me, I felt my face flushing red all over again. There was a lazy smile on his lips. He was enjoying my discomfort. I cringed every time I remembered the look on his face when he had caught sight of my nipple. For the rest of the evening, I half expected him to tell anyone who cared to listen how I had embarrassed myself.

Blake freaking Shields, my nemesis, had just seen my nipple. Technically, half of my nipple. Not that it made a difference.

It was already past midnight, and many guests were already gone when Liam dropped by again.

"How about a break?" He asked me. I looked around. Blake wasn't around, so I nodded. I followed Liam to the pool and we sat down. My feet were stiff from standing for hours. So I put them into the water, sighing with relief. Liam did the same.

"Thank you," I told him.

"For what?" he asked looking curiously at me.

"For not hating me. It seems like everyone at school does."

"Not everyone. You've got the Rileys rooting for you."

"Right, the Rileys." I thought for a moment. "And thank you for getting Frank off of my back."

"He was just drunk. Don't mind him."

"Again, why are you friends with these guys? You are not like them." I asked and gave him a side glance.

"Is it that obvious?" He asked. I smiled at that. "You are right. I wasn't born rich. My mom married rich, in case you don't know. Eventually, Blake and I became friends. And Josh and Frank came as a package deal. Blake helped me fit in. So in a sense, I owe it to him."

"Owing someone is not a healthy base for a friendship." I regretted it the moment I said it, then Liam's expression changed and the air between us felt chilly.

"You don't know us," he replied. It seemed like every time I touched on his friendship with Blake, he got defensive.

"I'm sorry," I said looking at the water.

"Blake is not as bad as you think. He'd do anything for those he calls friends..." he began. But then his phone beeped. He gave it a glance and frowned.

"Will be right back." With that, he stood up and headed toward the house. I remained seated by the edge of the pool. I looked up, the sky was covered with stars and it felt very peaceful. There were barely any people left and I considered perhaps packing my things and leaving too.

Lost in thought, I didn't perceive any danger until it was too late.

Someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me into the water with them. Two pairs of hands held me in a lock. One of them had me by the legs and the other by the neck, dragging me down. I was a good swimmer and even though the attack came as a surprise, the water had always been a safe place for me. Once the first shock of surprise subsided, I gained back my clarity of mind.

I kicked one of the attackers into the groin and he let go of me. With my legs now free, I took the other into a deadlock and squeezed. He let go of me too. Now freed, I swam to the surface. As soon as my head emerged, I took a few big laborious breaths.

"What da fuck, Frank!" I heard Liam shout. He was by the pool and on his knees now, stretching out a hand to help me out. I turned and Frank's and Carl's heads emerged. "Were you trying to drown her, you idiots?"

I climbed out of the pool and Liam helped me to my feet. I was shivering more from the shock than the cold.

"What's going on here?" I heard Blake's voice behind us. I turned and there he was and Josh right beside him. Anger like never before overtook me. So I rushed up to Blake.

"I thought we had a deal. I dressed up in the stupid servant's dress you had for me, I did what you told me to. But I see you are just a liar!"

"What happened?" Blake looked from me to Frank and Carl who had also climbed out of the pool.

I pressed my fingers hard against Blake's chest.

"Was this one of your surprises?"

"I had nothing to do with it," he replied, sounding angered and annoyed.

"I know the lot of you has no boundaries. You are so rotten inside that you wouldn't even stop short of killing someone. Go to hell!"

With that, I turned to leave but Blake grabbed me by the wrist and wouldn't let go of it.

"Frank, what did you do?" he demanded to know. I could hear the cold in Blake's voice.

"We thought we'd play a little prank on her..."

"By what, drowning a freaking police officer's daughter in my pool? Are you insane?" I thought I'd seen Blake angry, but it was nothing compared to what I now saw. I stopped attempting to free my wrist. His voice sounded truly dangerous now.

"You went easy on her, Blake. After everything she's done...," complained Frank.

Blake let go of me and was now at Frank's throat. There was pure terror in Frank's eyes. Liam and Josh attempted to pull Blake away but it wasn't easy.

"Do you want the police crawling all over my place, you idiot?" Blake was shaking Frank now.

"Relax. Nobody would believe her. It's her word against ours..."

"Is it? After you told her in front of the entire school that she is as good as dead? Ha?"

"Nobody will talk..."

"I won't lie for you!" Blake replied barely preventing himself from launching at Frank again.

"I lied for you!" shouted Frank back.

"And so you remind me every day," Blake replied, and the coldness of his voice chilled the blood in my veins. I stood still, watching the scene unfold. What were they talking about? "You've complicated things."

"I've complicated things?" Frank cried when Liam and Josh finally managed to pull Blake away from him. Frank rubbed his throat. "You wanted to play games with her. You wanted her gone. But now you called it all off. I had to take matters into my own hands."

I had enough of it. I stepped closer and threw a punch at Frank, making him stumble a few steps. He cried and grabbed his nose. I hoped it was broken.

"If you ever go anywhere near me again, I will get you booked. And no amount of money will help you then," I told him. "All of you for that matter."

I gave them all a warning look. I grabbed my bag and headed for the house, keen to leave.

"Hope!" Liam called my name and followed me. I stopped to face him. "I'm sorry..." he began.

"Me too. Go back to your friends, Liam. And leave me alone!"

I was so mad as I drove home. Only five days in and I already almost died. I cried myself to sleep that night.