Fourth Wing: Chapter 27~31 - Secret Memory Part. 2

We followed Mira and her unreadable expression out to the spiral staircase. It wasn't like we could run away or jump out the window. Well, with the trick Riorson pulled before maybe we could blind her and run, but that would assume I was working with him. I would rather die instead.

Mira shuts the door behind us and throws up a line of blue energy that covers the entrance. The way she moved with so much ease was impressive.

"Sound shield," I said with a smile. "Nice."

"Shut up," Mira spun on the top step, pointing her finger at me. Okay ... She was pissed.

"I don't know what bug has crawled up your ass, Dain Aetos, but have you forgotten that you're a squad leader? That you have a very real chance of becoming a wingleader next year?"

Yeah, she was pissed off as fuck. I knew that I was in line to be a wingleader next year and it was always a dream of mine since I've heard about the position. But after Amber's situation, I didn't know anymore. One thing I did know was that If I missed the opportunity, Colonel Aetos would have words to say. I would be the biggest disappointment to the family name.

"Mira-" I started.

"You're blowing it, Dain. I know how badly you want his job next year." Mira cut me off, pointing at Riorson. "Don't forget that we've grown up about ten feet apart. And you are blowing it, because what? You're pissed that Violet bonded his dragon's mate?"

"He is the worst possible thing for her!" I countered back.

"Oh, I'm not arguing that." Mira shifted closer to me. Her eyes were filled with frustration, but I knew that she meant well. And everything she said was the truth. I was a Squad Leader and I was losing my shit in front of my own squad. If we were getting ready for battle, I would be responsible for them and right now I had no confidence that they would trust me. I didn't trust myself. One mistake and I would have their blood on my hands.

"You two have been best friends since you were five years old. Figure your shit out." Mira reminded us. I look over at Violet, who looked as tense as I was and nodded. She nodded back.

"Good, now get back in there." Mira motioned to the door with her head.

I nod at Mira and walk towards the door, leaving the shield barrier. Thoughts jumbled in my head and I needed to organize my priorities. First things first, I needed to step up as a Squad Leader. Second, I needed to figure my shit out with Violet. And somewhere in between, I needed to brief up to Colonel Aetos about the situation. I was sitting with my squad when all side conversation stopped and every rider in the room stiffened.

"Gryphons are headed this way," Cath interrupted. "You need to get out of there now."

"Riders to the turret!" I shouted and everyone got up on their feet. I immediately opened the door to Violet and Mira and the rest of the squad rushed down the stairs. "Let's Go! Now!"

Everyone scattered to retrieve their belongings. Riorson dragged Violet to meet up with the rest of the squad. Escape was the safest through the turrets where the dragons could meet us up at the roof once we ran up. Fortress walls were not an option. As the squad climbed up, Violet's voice echoed in the corridor.

"This is bullshit! Tairn could help them!"

Violet was doing shit for squad morale. "Your sister is right. You have to make it out, so we're leaving. Now fucking climb ." I said it out loud for Violet and others to hear.

"Dain," she started to argue.

I turned around and grabbed Rhiannon's pack from her, throwing it over my shoulder. "For once, Riorson and I agree. It's not just you we have to get out, Violet. Think of every other first-year." I didn't think Riorson and agree would be used in one sentence so soon, but we had bigger problems. Problems that I had to prioritize as the Squad Leader.