1: Town Curiosity

Start from the beginning

"You must be Shelby's daughter."

I silently swore to myself, knowing she was addressing me. Lowering the book, I straightened up a bit in the run down sitting chair before clearing my throat, "Yes, ma'am."

"Name?"

"Sylvie Ma'am."

"How old are you now, Sylvie?" Miss Lucinda asked, her eyes turning assessing.

"Nineteen, ma'am."

"You got a man?"

"Uh...no, ma'am."

Miss Lucinda snorted, "Sure you don't."

"If you two can quit your chatter, I'm trying to concentrate." Gran snapped, giving Lucinda her famous death glare.

"I came to you for a reading, Annabelle Marcum. Not for you to waste my time with silliness. Now tell me what this sickness is about and then let me be on my way."

Gran lifted a brow, "Am I keeping you here, Lucy? You're free to go if you don't like how I do my business."

"Fine." Miss Lucinda huffed, "Just hurry it up will you? I have a bridge club meeting in an hour down at the club."

Lifting the book again I rolled my eyes at the mention of the local country club. I couldn't imagine what kind of people circled in a place like that. People like Lucinda's own grandnephew, Newman Parks no doubt. I shuddered at the very idea of running into him again. He was one of the reasons I'd dropped out of high school in the first place.

"Looks to be circulating in the stomach," Gran said primly, getting my very divided attention, "But it'll pass."

"So nothing serious then?"

Gran pursed her lips and kept her eyes on the cards, "Well that depends on random bouts of loud flatulence affects you, Lucinda."

"You--!" Miss Lucinda cut herself off as she abruptly stood up from her chair.

Patting her perfectly pinned back dark hair, she looked about ready to burst but kept her composure best she could. I kept my attention on the book before me but I kept my ears open while waiting for her reaction. I reckoned it ought to be good enough to make up for her remarks towards me.

"Don't get upset now, Lucy. We both know it's a common problem. Doctor said it so himself didn't he?"

"I always knew you were a no good witch!"

I watch Gran narrows her dark eyes at her, "You have a lot of nerve coming into my own house and spouting hateful words at me, Lucinda Crowe."

"I never should have come down here." She said as she began digging in her purse, "People always said if you go past the river you know you're bound to be dealing with trash!"

"And when there's trash soon come the rats." Gran told her coldly, "Out of the two I think I know which I'd rather be."

Miss Lucinda threw a pair of bills down on the wooden table in front of Gran and made sure to slam her long pink nailed hand down on top. Gran looked up at her seemingly unimpressed but one could never really tell what she was really thinking. The twitch in her cheek told me she was burning mad though.

"I will make sure no one comes here for anymore of your trickery, Annabelle. You're nothing but a cheat and a liar."

"That may be, Mrs. Crowe but at least I'm honest about the life I live. Can you say the same?"

With a sputtering of inaudible words, Miss Lucinda turns around and storm right out of the house. As soon as she was gone the air cleared and I was able to relax for the first time in an hour. Gran lifted an eyebrow in my direction while picking up the tarot cards before her.