Chapter twelve - Persuasion and Planning

Lydia Hollow

           Two Ferlin Elves with red and black spears strapped to their backs escort us into a smaller room down the dark hall. As we followed them down the hall, I noticed that there are steel name tags beside each door. We pass several doors until we reach a dark purple steel plate beside a door at the end of the hall on the left steel wall. Coren Tribe Council Room
The two Elves stand guard on both sides of the door, the shorter one with long black hair tied in a high ponytail opening the door and stepping to the side, the two Elves’ expressions blank and still. 
           We all enter the room, and the door closes behind us. Lizx immediately takes a seat in the largest chair around a round wooden table. I notice that the room is much like the Council Room back in Coren at Lizx’s house, and I am acutely aware of the wood in the room. It sends a small breath of relief from me, even though the walls and floor are still wood. 
Dorian and the other Rangers take their seats at the table, except for Jordan who stands leaning against the wall, his eyes glued to the table. 

           “Lydia,” Lizx calls, and I walk to her left side. “Walk us through the plan again.” My throat tightens at her request of more public speaking, but I clear my throat and nod, All eyes on me, again. “Reason with the Ferlin Tribe and ensure peace among the Elfish Tribes-”
           “No. Tell us how you would reason with them,” she interrupts me. A hot flush burns my cheeks, but I nod quickly and restart. “I would first explain that The Sage of Life, Inara, was possessed by The Dark Entity, who is back. And that she was controlled to make Ahren’s forests die slowly, and the monsters grew in quantity and power. Inara was saved by- well, us, and we must travel to Freya as soon as possible, so, Inara’s younger brother, Kazumi, will be taken under the Zerra Tribe, and learn to awaken and control his Life Sage powers. So he will be able to heal the Forest’s of Ahren and protect Ahren until Inara gets back. And, if they do not listen to me, Inara will reason with them.” Everyone nods along, and Kazumi clings to Inara’s leg when I mention him. “Good,” Lizx gazes up at me with a serious look in her eyes. “You will tell them exactly that.” My throat tightens even more, and I almost can’t breathe. “U- um, me?” I stammer, my throat choking my words. Lizx’s eyes soften a bit, but remain serious. “Yes, you. I know you hate speaking publicly, but you can do this.” her eyes soften even more, to the point of showing slight emotion. She sighs, and turns toward me in her chair. “We need you to do this. Do you understand?” I force my throat to let up, and return her look of seriousness. Her mouth lifts in an amused grin. “Good,” she stands, and walks to the steel door. She leaves the room, and all eyes remain on me. I feel their eyes piercing into me, and I begin to feel lightheaded. Then, Dorian chuckles. “Alright, don’t stare,” he says, his voice kind. Everyone looks down or away, but there’s not much to look at. Fon ends up looking back up at me, his bright eyes as light as ever. I hear Inara sigh softly and turn to her. Her eyes lock with mine, and regret fills them. “I’m so sorry,” she croaks out through tears welling up in her eyes. Kazumi clings tighter to her leg but looks up at her with concern. Everyone looks to her with the same concern but also slight confusion. “For what, Inara?” Kamitra asks from her seat. Inara wipes away the tears brimming in her eyes. “Ferlin has gotten out of control… I knew they were strongly biased, but I never thought-...” her words cut off as her tears choke her. She wipes more tears. “I never thought they would start any wars… I never thought they would actually hurt anyone.” Her words sound so sad as tears try to choke her and fall. Dorian approaches her and grabs hold of her arms, looking into her sad, teary eyes. “Inara, this is not your fault. You couldn’t have known,” he says softly, as she sniffs back tears and tries not to cry. Remi makes comforting little tunes by her ear, and Kazumi continues to cling to her leg. 

Then, Dorian lets out a short breathy laugh. “It feels like I’m saying that a lot.” He glances at me when he says this, and I cough a small laugh, too. Inara nods, until the tears in her eyes dry up and leave. Dorian lets go of her arms and backs up. “We don’t blame you, Nari,” Kadence reassures with her soft and sweet voice. Inara smiles appreciatively at her, and Remi sings a happy note as he nudges against Inara’s cheek. A unanimous giggle sounds around the room at this heartwarming sight, and then Lizx re enters the room. “Let’s go,” she announces as she leaves the door open and leads us through the hall. We are led into a huge room; much bigger than the main room of Norrin’s house. It appears to be a courtroom, all made of steel of course. The only thing that isn’t steel is a painting on the wall showing the symbols of each tribe.