][ XXIII ][

*sorry for the sucky, unedited (and not-looked over chapter I wrote this pretty quick in hopes of getting a chapter to you guys <3*

++++++++++

My head was bowed, drawn close to my chest as I walked to protect my face from the cold wind that blew. I had the hood of my dark green hoodie up, the dark, longer hairs from the side of my head tickling my face as they blew in the wind.

My eyes were trained on the pavement of the empty road as I walked, staring at the rocks and gravel and litter. I stopped abruptly as I came upon a set of feet in my line of sight. A pair of ugly brown loafers standing in front of me. And that was all that there was. I guess whoever wore the shoes had abandoned them. I bent down to inspect them closer, my curiosity of the human world still very high. I had to act like I knew mostly everything about it, but in truth, I didn't understand much. Why would someone just leave their shoes behind, on the side of a road?

They were woman's shoes and they had little tassels on the front. I was about to stand up and walk away from the strange, random sight before I heard a whisper. It was coming from the side of the road, where the forest from Rachel's backyard expanded onto the side of the road. I was still pretty close to her house - I could see the roof of her house and the top of the tree that grew along Rachel's bedroom window - so I felt more compelled as that what was going on here. Especially because it seemed like Rachel had gained an enemy.

Walking off the side of the road and into the forest, I made my way through the trees like I had done so many times before, follow in the whisper until it became a clear, audible voice. A woman's voice. That explained the discarded woman's shoes, but still. . .

I began creeping along the trees, I didn't have to worry about making noise because it was perk I had: soundlessness. I tuned in on the woman's words as I edged past a large tree with a red bird perched in it, chirping loudly and musically. A male cardinal. I looked up at it and it twitched its gaze down to me. It looked at me and then flew away, a bright red blur against the darkening sky, and dying leaves.

It stopped and perched on another tree, looking at me from where t flapped its wings almost impatiently. Was it. . .leading me? I looked away from the red bird and ahead, into the thick brush and entwined, tangled tree branches, and I looked back up at the red bird which was style staring at me as if to say 'oh come on. . .' I shrugged and turned toward the bird, watching and following it as it flew from tree to tree.

It stopped upon a tree that looked twisted and weary, like a tree in a haunted forest. It looked like it would fall over and crush anyone at any give. moment. The bird chirped loudly and flew away, too fast for me to follow along. I peered around me into the forest, listening to the sounds of faraway birds singing, the wind blowing leaves, a distant car rushing by on the road I had left and. . .talking.

". . .oh, come on!" A clearly agitated, boyish voice groaned.

"What?! It's not my fault. . ." The other voice, the one I heard whispering (who I think the stranded shoes belonged to) rasped out, sounding defensive.

"Just leave me alone. Go away. Leave. Now." The male voice pressed, rude and impatient. "I don't want anything to do with you."

"Well, well. . .have it your way. I was going to give you an amazing deal. Guess you don't want it no more." The woman's haunting voice reeled out. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard and caused my skin to prickle. My curiosity got the better of me (again) and I peaked around the tree's trunk, surprised, shocked and confused at the scene before me.

A dead, mutilated deer, a bloody older woman who was crouched - at Lorins feet - who looked taken aback, shocked and disgusted. Well, so would I. The woman at his feet was staring up at him with yellow hungry eyes. But they weren't hungry for the deer she most likely ate, they were hungry for a lethal desire to hunt. And I'm guessing she wanted to hunt Lorin.

"Go. Away. You. Who-" Lorin began through gritted teeth but stopped short suddenly. He looked away from the creepy woman and to where I stood, clearly sensing my presence. I stepped away from the tree, looking down at the crouched woman - creature. She gazed at me, confused, but then slowly cracked a smile that was toothless and sinister.

"Ah. . .angle boy." She whispered, hobbling towards me. She grabbed my pant leg and looked up at me with half lidded, yellow eyes. She stood up, but her knees were still bent a little as if she couldn't possibly stand straight. Still gazing at me, she trailed a long, bony, clawed finger down my chest, leaning closer, smelling of putrid decay and rotten meat. I tried not to gag.

"You and I are natural, biological enemies. . ." She whispered in my ear, her other hand coming up and playing with my hair. I struggled to move away from her as she tightened her grip on my hair and pushed her skeleton-like body up against mine. "But I wouldn't mind to be a little. . .friendly with you." She backed away and winked.

"Well, don't be surprised when I'm ripping you apart." I shot back, stonily. She laughed and feigned hurt.

"You couldn't do that to me, baby, could you?"

"Enough." Lorin's voice cut through mine and the demons scuffle. "You, leave. And you," he pointed at me, "leave too."

"Looks like angel boy has done something to anger the half breed. . ." The demon sung. I turned toward her and was about to release me and Lorin from her presence, but Lorin stopped me.

"Ezra, just leave it alone. Lets go. We don't need to be around scum and filth." He spoke as he looked angrily at the demon. With that, he turned and grabbed my arm, leading me away from the laughing demon. I was too confused and shocked to object; to ask Lorin questions and to go back and murder that demon before she laughed more and killed another deer.

The thing that confused me the most though, was why Lorin had been talking to that demon in the first place. And why he was trying to discreetly, but obviously, pull out a knife from the sleeve of his jacket.

++++++++++

Sorry for the late update guys! It's Canada Day and I got busy! Plus I'm fasting and I'm so tired and hungry lol!

Anyways I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter nonetheless and I do plan on working on updating earlier heheh. . .Thanks for reading!!

• Absolute • On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara