01

[Congratulations! You have now become a player!]

Jinwoo jolted awake with a gasp. He felt something awakening deep inside him, his head throbbed in phantom pain. He panted as he remembered everything that happened to him. His throat felt parched, muscles trembling as he clenched his fist around his chest in mock support.

'A dream...?'

He wondered if it had been nothing but a dream that he had, all those days of almost dying manifesting as a nightmare where he finally died. But... as he glanced around him, he found himself in the hospital room. Something that he usually avoided because he couldn't afford to pay for it. He glanced at the new high-tech machines around him and understood that he was in an especially good room, something out of his pay grade.

The door slid open right then and a few men with suits walked in.

"Have you regained consciousness?" The man in the lead asked. He had slick orange hair, having only a few strands framing his face and black eyes. He was wearing a black tux just like the other person who entered after him. But unlike the one at the back, the person who asked him was a holder of authority— and respected, from what Jinwoo understood from their body language.

"Who are you?" His gaze locked on their figures as they approached him.

"I apologise if we startled you." The orange-haired man pushed forward a card, which he took without much thought. There, in shiny fonts was the logo of the Korean Hunter's Association— more specifically the Surveillance team.

"The Hunter's Association Surveillance Team..." Jinwoo's mind processed the words before his body could and he asked what was on his mind as soon as he was able to, "Why does the surveillance team want to talk to me...?"

Jinwoo's view went downhill from that point on. The man who introduced himself as Woo Jinchul was the chief of the Surveillance Team. He recounted what happened to them all to Jinwoo who was unaware of the events that followed after he 'died'.

"I've been asleep for three whole days!?" Jinwoo asked in disbelief, the notion of being unconscious for that long without informing his family was a bizarre thing to him. Not to mention that he did not know how his sister took the news of him being hospitalised. With a sigh, he pushed his frustrations and vexation to the back of his mind and asked the next important question that he could think of.

"What happened to Miss JooHee and Mr. Song?" Without giving them a chance to answer he questioned again, "Are they safe?"

Jinchul looked at the young man in front of him, he looked fragile. As if a gust of wind could blow him away. He had half a mind to compare Sung Jinwoo to someone he knew but the thought disappeared from his mind before he could even begin. While he could answer the question without much thought, he felt the need to soften the blow by trying to emphasise.

"...Mr. Song Chiyul lost an arm, so he will have a lot of difficulty fighting as a hunter." Given the way he saw Jinwoo's face ashen, he didn't think that he was doing a good job of softening the blow. But he continued while holding back a sigh. "He might choose to retire due to this."

"As for Ms Lee Joohee, she seems to have been heavily traumatised. She is currently receiving therapy as we speak. We are not sure if either of them will continue to work as hunters." He said, having said his piece. His subordinate spoke up then, about to continue and talk about the other survivors when Jinwoo stopped him from continuing.

"It's okay, I've heard enough. I don't want to know more about them."Jinchul shared a glance with his subordinate.

"The number of people that survived the Double Lair is Six." Jinwoo felt more than he saw their inquisitive eyes as the chief of the Surveillance Team spoke about the Dungeon. "Although Hunters are in Danger every time they hunt, it's rare for a massacre like this to occur. When the inspectors and The White Tiger Guild reached the scene, the statues were all gone." Jinchul masked his innermost feelings as he thought back to the scene he witnessed during the rescue mission.