Chapter 13

Nickolai was busy reading his e-mails when his phone started ringing. He absentmindedly took it out of his pocket and swiped the screen to answer the call. "Hello..." he said.

He frowned when he heard a sob. "Who's this?"

There was no reply so he checked his phone's screen and saw that the number was unregistered.

"If you are not going to speak, I will end this call—"

"Nick..."

Nickolai frowned. "Sino 'to?"

"Nick, it's me..."

"I'm sorry but who are you?" he asked in bafflement.

"Nick! Hindi mo ba ako nabobosesan?"

"Hindi. Sino ka ba?" he asked and he hated how he had an inkling who the caller was.

Pero, imposible naman, how would she get her hands on my new number?

"Ako 'to, si Precious..." came the reply. "Nakakasama ka naman ng loob, Nick. It's like you totally erased me from your life. Parang wala lang sa'yo 'yung halos dalawang taon natin—"

"What do you want?"

"Kailan mo ako pupuntahan dito sa ospital? Alam kong dumalaw ka kasi sabi ng nurse. I need you, Nick. I need you to comfort me. I am still brokenhearted over our baby—"

"I'm sorry but how did you get my number?"

"From the hospital records—"

Hospital records—shit, oo nga pala, they asked for my number and I automatically gave them this one. But, isn't that information supposedly private? I already informed them that I am not her next of kin—

"I know you're hurting, Nick. I am, too...." Precious said. "Our baby—"

"I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am. I have asked one of my people to settle the hospital bills. Huling tulong ko na 'yun sa'yo—"

"Nick! Am I really hearing all these from you? Nakunan ako, Nick. Namatay ang anak natin—!"

"I never really believed that the child you were carrying was mine," he said.

"What?"

"I knew that you were sleeping around that was why I always used protection when we're intimate. Which wasn't frequent to start with. Besides, ang tagal na nating hindi nagsiping bago pa man tayo naghiwalay."

"I told you that there was this one time when I went to visit you—"

"I don't believe you," Nickolai coldly said. "A paternity test would have proven that the child wasn't mine, but you refused."

"Because I was afraid that a paternity test would harm our baby—"

"It wouldn't. I reassured you. I asked you to research about it. I even had one of the doctors call you but you told him to fuck off. And it would have put all this madness to rest. But, you declined to go through with it because you knew that the baby wasn't mine."

"Hindi 'yan totoo, Nick!"

"Tama na, Precious. Hindi ka pa ba napapagod d'yan sa mga pinaggagawa mo?"

"How dare you, Nickolai Sandoval?! How dare you na maliitin ako! I will tell the world just how evil you are! Malalaman ng buong mundo na ultimo sarili mong dugo—"

"Go ahead. I dare you," Nickolai said. "I wanted to be kind because of what happened to you, but I won't have you manipulating me using the child you lost. I have evidence in my hands, Miss Abueva. Evidence that I do not mind showing the world, too. Evidence of your questionable activities."