Tardises and Tents (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"It looks like we're going to be fine." He grinned. "Local time blip - extremely unlikely, but perfectly normal, with time being the mess that it is. All it means is that time blipped back a day or so for a fraction of a second - and the TARDIS thought it was a day early."

"So it's travelled forward a day!" Said Adric, jumping in the air a little as he too realised what had happened.

The Doctor pointed at him, still grinning. "Exactly!"

"So all we have to do is stay here a day, and wait for it to come back?" Asked Nyssa.

"This feels too easy." Said Tegan. "What's the catch?"

The Doctor laughed, but not unkindly. "There is no catch. That's it. We just have to wait."

"But wait...what are we going to do? Where are we going to sleep?" Asked Tegan, her voice filling with more than a little apprehension.

"We'll have to build a shelter. And I have just the thing!" The Doctor grinned, reaching a hand into a pocket deep inside his jacket, and drawing out two small squares of fabric.

"I don't think those are going to build us a shelter." Said Tegan, looking doubtfully at the green squares.

"Just wait, you'll see." Said the Doctor mysteriously. He held one square in each hand, and with a precise flick of each wrist, he swished them through the air. The fabric seemed to unfurl, cascading from his raised hands on both sides, and hitting the floor more than a hundred times their original size. Even Adric was impressed.

"How does that work?" He asked, staring at the huge swathes of fabric curiously.

"Dimensional engineering." Said the Doctor simply, as if this explained it.

"But it isn't possible." Continued the boy, his incredulity growing.

"Adric, we live in a Police Box with an interior larger than a small planet. I think we're way past that. Come on!" And with that he strode towards the edge of the forest, obviously expecting them to follow.

Adric walked after him, still shaking his head, and Tegan turned to Nyssa as they too followed the Doctor.

"Is the inside of the Tardis really bigger than a small planet?"

"Oh yes." Nyssa shrugged. "Didn't you know?"

"No! And if it's so big, how come we only use a few rooms?"

"It's very easy to get lost in. Remember the lipstick and the unravelled scarf from just before we went to Castrovalva?"

Tegan shrugged. She supposed it made sense, in some way. If anything about the concept of bigger on the inside made sense.

"Come on!" Shouted the Doctor, who had already made it to the edge of the trees.

Tegan and Nyssa rolled their eyes a little, but jogged after him anyway.

*********

When they finally reached the forest, the Doctor and Adric were setting up the fabric over branches, forming what looked like two tents.

"Camping!" Grinned the Doctor, as if it was the best thing in the world. "One tent for me and Adric, one tent for you two. Go on, get yourselves sorted. I'm going to collect some fire wood." And he was off again into the trees, before they could ask any more questions. Adric shrugged, and disappeared into the tent on the left. Nyssa and Tegan made their way to the other one and crawled inside.

"Well, this is certainly not bigger on the inside." Nyssa remarked, looking at the green roof barely six inches from the tops of their heads.

"Oh, there's plenty of room." Tegan said.