EROS - 0004: LOSS.

𝙗𝙮𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙖𝙘𝙩, 𝙥𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚.
SECTION TWO: LOSS—0004.

█║▌║█║▌║▌║█║▌║█║▌║▌║ █║▌║█║▌║▌█║▌║█║▌║▌

YVONNE'S HAND TOOK A HOLD OF HER WRIST, AND THE GIRL'S LAUGHTER ECHOED IN HER EAR AS SHE LEANED IN CLOSE TO WHISPER, "HE'S WAITING FOR YOU OUTSIDE AGAIN!" Within seconds, she lost sight of her friend, swallowed by the tide of students surging toward the school's exit. The air buzzed with hollering and laughter. She let her classmates pass, quietly apologizing when bumped into, disregarding calls of her name and the attempts of boys vying for her attention. When the halls became empty and the noise subsided, Wilmarie's footsteps echoed against the tiled floors as she walked slowly to the front court of the school. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm, golden glow over the city skyline.

She found him seated on the ground, knees drawn up to his chest, his gaze fixed on nothing at all.

Percy always had the scariest look on his face whenever he was upset, just like that classical painting of the fallen angel or something immortal like that. His sadness has always been tinged with a simmering resentment, some feeling of disdain for the world that she never learned how to ease.

She dropped her backpack next to him, taking a seat beside him.

"It's almost spring break," she acknowledged. "I thought you said you would show up every day until you earned my forgiveness, or whatever. That was in January."

Percy sighed heavily, his gaze still straight ahead. "I know I said that," he replied. "But, uh, I got a friend killed. I guess. So... Yeah, I was kind of dealing with that." His voice trailed off, filled with so much guilt—regret, pain, anger, always anger—that Wilmarie found herself unable to say any of the awful things she had fantasized about saying to him when he stopped showing up.

She looked at her old best friend, studying his face intently, searching for answers within the lines and shadows cast upon it. Percy seemed older, worn down in a kind of way she hadn't witnessed before, even when the bullying and the name-calling, and all the beatings from Gabe and their shitty classmates would send him home with bruises and terrifying thoughts. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, resting her chin on her knees. She felt shallow, because she knew she was going to forgive him in the end, no matter how much he disappointed her—because he is Percy, and she doesn't know how to be Wilmarie without him, but she had wanted it to drag on—to see how loyal he truly was. She wanted to see him groveling, begging for her forgiveness, pleading for another chance.

And, through every awful wish and assumption she had, Percy was mourning. Getting overwhelmed with guilt and regret, losing friends, and hurting. Wilmarie felt tears prick at the corners of her eyes. She pressed her face to her knees, just for a moment, because she knew the type of things that filled Percy's mind when he hurt. When she lifted her head, she didn't attempt to smile.