05

CHAPTER FIVE
"Really? Really."

Penelope's eyes sprung open as she woke up with a gasp. She shot up with her heart racing. She had told herself she was going to stay up all night, just in case whoever left the note came back. Her baseball bat had fallen to the ground and she quickly picked it back up. She wondered around the house for a little bit until she was satisfied that nothing looked out of place.

She walked back into the living room and sat on the couch, staring at the note that was sitting on the coffee table. She had crumpled it up into a ball and threw it onto the table before she took up her spot on the couch. She fought her tiredness for as long as she could, but ultimately gave into it; and she was mad at herself for that. 

Normally, she would call Bobby if something was bothering her but when it came to this, she didn't. She didn't want to drag him into any of her mess. He already knew too much, he didn't need to know about this too.

Penelope looked up at the clock and sighed when she saw the time was almost seven in the morning. She waited for another moment before she sighed and stood up. Hoping that her work day would keep her distracted from the horrible memories that note brought back.

________
________

At the firehouse, Chimney approached Bobby who was busy making breakfast for everyone in the kitchen. Without saying much, Chimney began to help Bobby but the fire captain could tell he had an ulterior motive. "What is it, Chim?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" Chimney asked.

"You didn't come over here just to help me. You either want or need something, so what is it?" Bobby questioned.

"I wanted to ask you about Penelope." Chimney admitted. He glanced around to make sure the others weren't eavesdropping before he continued. "I want to ask her out."

Bobby raised his eyebrow. "Like on a date?" He asked.

"What else would I ask her out for?" Chimney replied.

"Why did you come to me about this? I'm not her father, you don't need to ask for my permission to take out on a date." Bobby said.

"I know you're not but you're the only family she has. You know her better than anyone here." Chimney said. "Would she even go out with a guy like me?"

Bobby chuckled. "Chim, you'd have to be blind to not see there's a spark between you two. You should go for it, ask her out."

Chimney smiled and nodded his head a little. Bobby continued; "All I ask if that you look after her and don't break her heart. She's important to me and I don't want to see her get hurt."