Chapter 53

Vihaan's pov

It's a new day, a fresh start. Saying those words is simple, but when you've fucked up every aspect of life beyond repair, they feel utterly meaningless.

I feel like nothing I do could ever be enough to earn forgiveness. When I try seeing things from her perspective, I can only imagine the overwhelming anger she must feel. What I've done seems unforgivable. But despite everything, isn't it worth trying?

Isn't everthing in this world born from a single word, "try"? Even to fail, you've got to try first. My hope clings to that word. I will try my absolute best to earn her forgiveness, even though I believe it's impossible and that I'm one to blame.

If I had been in her shoes, I probably would have lost control the very first time she said anything. But she was different- so kind and gentle. She chose to keep her composure for the sake of our families and the respect we hold in public. From what I know, she's been a remarkably cold and powerful CFO. It makes me wonder; if her employees knew the burdens she bore, they wouldn't believe it, not even for a second. And yet, I've crushed her self-respect over and over. The sins I've committed against her are countless.

She was an independent and strong woman, and I completely erased that image of her- the one thing she was so proud of, the one thing she built tackling challenging obstacles of her own!

I'll never receive her forgiveness, and I've already sunk so low that there's no depth left to fall. Whether I apologize or not, it won't change her life no more. But I can't bear making another mistake, I NEED to apologize. I'll go to any extent, even if forgiveness isn't welcomed, just to express the guilt I feel inside.

With a heavy heart, I walked to the dining room for breakfast, clinging to the hope of seeing Swasti. I longed to ask her for a moment to talk, whenever she might agree. But it seemed the universe was conspiring against me, for everyone was there, except her. It felt unbearably wrong to sit down and eat with my wife- sorry, ex-wife's family, who hold so much disdain for her. Just as I was about to leave, feeling out of place and defeated, Ashika stopped me.

The word "ex-wife" feels even more bitter than bitter-gourd on my tongue. Yet, this overwhelming urge to protect her from everyone in this world, rising from some deep, unknown place within me, won't let go. It's not that I believe her family's wrong, but they're not entirely right either. Although, I'm no one to judge them; maybe there's still a few pages left incomplete in their storyline...

I can't explain where these feelings are coming from lately, this overwhelming urge to just protect and cherish her wounded heart with mine. Everyday, I feel like I'm losing my mind caught up in this whirlwind of emotions. Maybe it's the guilt eating me away, driving me to ensure that no one ever puts her through the pain I caused. I just want to make sure no one ever dreams of hurting her again...

All these thoughts weigh heavy on my heart, deepening the guilt already burdening me. Besides, it's not just Swasti I've hurt, but also Dad- the man Swasti cherished most. During her kanyadaan, he entrusted me with one solemn promise: to care for her as he did, if not more. Yet here I stand, unable to fulfill even the simplest fraction of what her father provided. I've shattered every vow i uttered on that sacred day.

A father's deepest wish is to find a man his daughter can lean on, long after he's gone. Yet, here I stand, as a failure being a son-in-law and a husband, shattering the trust her father placed in me. Each stumble I cause is another mark of my own flaw, a testament to my failure in his eyes.

Ashika: Vihaan bhaiya? Where are you going? Have breakfast!(She asked confused as everyone looked up from the table to me)

Vihaan: Urmm... I was just umm looking for swasti!( I answered awkwardly)