Part thirteen

First, he made his way to Little Whinging to catch a glimpse of his godson as a teenager, where his Animagus appearance startled Harry before the Knight Bus turned up. News of his escape caused an unprecedented panic, as he was the first known escapee of the notorious prison, and many people believed that he was planning another mass murder as well to murder Harry in a mad attempt to bring Lord Voldemort back. Witch Watchers that operated as a special Ministry force were used as a means of trying to catch him, but to no avail. The Muggle authorities were warned that Black was dangerous.

Sirius took refuge around Hogsmeade and the Forbidden Forest, where he was spotted a few times and mistaken by Harry for the Grim. He made the acquaintance of Hermione Granger's cat Crookshanks, who had recognised that Sirius was not actually a dog and who had also recognised Peter for what he was. Crookshanks attempted to bring Peter to Sirius, but Ron was very protective of his so-called pet. Sirius also spent some of his time in the Shrieking Shack planning various ways in which to catch Pettigrew.

Sirius-Black-tunnel
Sirius in the passage leading to the Shrieking Shack
Half-crazed and desperate, Sirius snuck into Hogwarts through the old passageway from the Shrieking Shack and on one occasion slashed the Fat Lady's portrait when she refused him entrance to Gryffindor Tower on 31 October, 1993. Later, he came to view the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. During the match he witnessed Harry's excellent flying skills, which he later commented mirrored James's skills. Eventually, he was able to enter the Gryffindor common room. He accomplished this with a list of passwords Crookshanks had stolen from Neville Longbottom and shredded Ron's bed-curtains in his search for "Scabbers". Peter was nowhere to be found since Sirius's escape had prompted him to once again fake his own death and hide.