04.

a misty fog blanketed the air, the cool air felt refreshing for y/n, who felt like she was burning up. as the other participants reached the top of the stairs, they were panting, trying to catch their breath after accomplishing phase 1 of the hunter exam.

she stared into space, lost in her own thoughts. "hey kurapika!" gon smiled, greeting his friend who had just reached up the stairs. kurapika, who was the blonde haired boy, looked down at  gon who was sitting down with y/n and killua. "hey," he waved. "is this the finish line?"

"i heard it's not." gon said. "really?" kurapika noticed that the fog in the air was starting to dissipate. "the fog is clearing." he stated.

"really?" gon asked, and he stood up from the ground and watched as the area that was once filled with fog clear up.

"the numere wetlands, popularly known as the swindler's swamp." said statoz, "this is the path you have to take to get to the second phase."

"there are many rare animals here that you can find elsewhere." he stated, "many of them prey on humans for flesh by playing tricks on them. such creatures are resourceful and rapacious."

statoz slowly turned to the crowd with a serious look on his face. "so everyone, be careful and follow me closely." he warned, "if you get tricked, you will die." that turned dark quickly.

suddenly, the gates behind us began to roll down. "wait!" a male participant shouted, he tried his best to get out the gate before the door could close on him. sadly, he didn't make it on time. "that sucks," y/n mumbled.

"these wetland creatures will use all sorts of tricks to catch their prey." statoz said, "in doing so, it becomes an ecosystem where they get their prey through deceit."

"that's why it's known as the swindler's swamp." he turned around, his back now facing the crowd. "so be careful not to be tricked and follow me closely."

this seems pretty eas.. "DON'T FALL FOR IT!" y/n's thoughts were interrupted by a man who peaked out behind a wall. "everyone, don't fall for it!" the man repeated again revealing himself, catching everybody's attention.

he looked beat up, having multiple scratches on his face and his sleeves were torn. "that man has been lying to all of you!" he shouted, pointing his finger towards statoz who didn't look quite bothered. "he's not an examiner. he's an impostor!"

"i'm the real examiner!" the man pointed at himself, "look at this!" he pulled out a dead body of a guy that looked oddly similar to statoz, but had different features.

the dead guy was covered had patches of brown fur on his body and his mouth was wide open, revealing his long tongue sticking outwards and sharp teeth. "he looks just like mr. statoz!" gon exclaimed.

y/n didn't look convinced, neither did killua. "he's a man faced ape that dwells in the numere wetlands!" the man shouted. "a man faced ape?" the "old" man questioned.

"man faced apes love human flesh." he explained, "but their limbs are slender and they're not powerful at all!"

"so they disguise themselves as humans and lure us into their lair with nice words! and they'll team up with other creatures to gobble us up."

"and he intends to catch all the hunter exam candidates in one go!" the man glared at statoz, pointing his finger at him again. out of no where, the clown guy had thrown a few cards towards statoz and the man who claimed he was the "examiner".

the "examiner" had the cards pierced into his chest which caused him to fallback and die. however, statoz had easily caught the cards in between his fingers. leading him to prove that he was the real examiner in the end.

"holy shit!"

"y/n-"

"oops, sorry."

"i can see it now." the clown chuckled,  shuffling the cards in his hands, "isn't it obvious? you're the real examiner."

the crowd gasped and turned to look at statoz, "was it not that obvious to others?" y/n muttered, glancing around at the people with shocked expressions on their faces.

y/n noticed from afar that the man who disguised as statoz had opened his eyes, i thought he was dead? confused, she furrowed her eyebrows. suddenly, the man had jumped up and took off hopping.

there he goes- or is it called an it?

"a so called examiner," the clown said, "is a hunter hired by the selection committee to serve for free."

"they might not be the hunters we aspire to be, but that kind of attack should be easily deflected."

"i'll take that as a compliment." statoz said, "however, if you lay a hand on me again, for whatever reason, it will be considered a violation against the examiner."

"you will be immediately disqualified." he warned, "do you understand?"
"yes." hisoka said with a smile. the sound of birds loudly cawing caught the crowd's attention, they looked over at where the noise was coming from and spotted the hungry birds pecking at the proclaimed examiners' dead body.

y/n stared in disgust at the scene, "yuck..." she watched as the birds started nipping at the wounds on the body. "it may be the law of nature, but that's just too cruel." the "old" man said and kurapika added, "it's really a man faced ape."

"he would accuse me of being an imposter to confuse candidates," statoz explained, "so he could take away quite a few."

"we can't let out guard down at all." killua said and gon said, "no."

"like this day at night." said statoz, "some of you must have almost fallen for that and begin to suspect me, am i right?" the "old" man sheepishly said, "not me!"

"listen up." statoz said, "the fog will be thicker up ahead in the numere wetlands. if you lose me even once, don't even think you'll make it to the second phase."

"so, please be careful." he added, "it's time to move on, so follow me closely."

a/n:

sorry for uploading this chapter late. my teachers have been giving me so so so many assignments that i get no time to write at all.

also, i'll be changing my writing to be first person perspective. it just seems to be way more better.