iv. welcome to the club, percy!

Start from the beginning

Finally, after a long week of waiting, it was finally time for capture the flag. When the plates were cleared away, the conch horn sounded again, and everyone stood at their tables. Ivy walked over to the Demeter table, where Katie stood.

Campers screamed and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion with their 10 foot long flag. Theirs was a glistening gray, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree.

When Clarisse and her cabin mates ran in with the flag, Ivy begrudgingly cheered. If she was going to be stuck on this team she might as well show a little spirit, right?

Her team's flag was a bright red, with a bloody spear and a boars head. So, yeah it wasn't the best look.

"If we loose, I'm going to kill you, Katie." Ivy yelled over the crowd.

"You really can't handle loosing one capture the flag game?"

"Oh, I can. I just made a bet against Annabeth that I can't loose."

Katie rolled her eyes jokingly, throwing an arm around Ivy's shoulder. "Well, you better listen to what clarisse tells you then"

"How fun," Ivy retorted sarcastically.

Katie grinned. "Alright, let's go before Clarisse hunts us down and puts our heads on her spear."

Ivy wouldn't put it past Clarisse to do something like that, in all honesty.

As they started walking towards the Ares table, Chiron hammered his hoof.

"Heroes!" he announced. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be promptly displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!"

He spread his hands, and the tables were covered with equipment such as bronze swords, spears, and shields.

Ivy looked over at where Percy was standing with Luke. She giggled at the look of bewilderment on Percy's face.

She pulled her wavy hair into a ponytail, and grabbed a helmet and some armor. She checked that she still had her bracelet, which was her dagger, with her, and she moved forward with her team.

She had hoped that she would be guard duty, or something simple like that, but Clarisse, apparently, had other plans.

"Soto!" Ivy turned around to the yelling of her name. "You're with me." Clarisse said. It sounded more like a growl, though.

Ivy and Katie shared a look, and sighed. Ivy knew better than to fight Clarisse on her decisions, and so she reluctantly followed Clarisse and two other Ares kids through the woods.

As they walked through the dark forest, careful not to give away where they were to anyone, she had attempted to ask Clarisse what they were doing. Instead of receiving a response, she was met with a sharp glare that shut her right up.

When they had finally reached their destination, Ivy was confused, to say the least. It was the boundary line, also known as the creek.