17| Not my brother

I spent the whole day training with Mitsuri. We pushed ourselves to the limit, pausing only for meals and conversation. The rush of energy we got from defeating the former Upper Moon was incredible. Thankfully, the injuries inflicted by that demon were minor cuts, easily treated by Shinobu and expected to heal in a few days.

Mitsuri and I were both given new uniforms. Hers was identical to her previous one, and mine remained the same—comfortable pants-skirt and a high-necked shirt. The robe, too, was repaired; it held sentimental value as it was a gift from my grandfather.

As night fell and I bid Mitsuri farewell after spending the entire day together at the Love Estate, instead of returning home, I decided to explore the forests—specifically, the area where Rengoku tragically fell. My intention was to find the third Upper Moon, Akaza, and avenge Rengoku's death. I was consumed by the guilt of not having been able to defeat Akaza earlier, before Rengoku's demise. I couldn't shake the thought that if I had succeeded then, Rengoku would still be alive. It gnawed at me relentlessly.

I ran through the woods, my senses heightened, listening intently for any sound. My exceptional hearing served me well as I searched tirelessly for any sign of Akaza. As I raced through the forest at an incredible speed I covered kilometers in less than five minutes.  Despite my swift pace, I couldn't help but notice the typical sights and sounds of a solitary forest.

After an hour of fruitless searching for any demon traces, a loud noise echoed in the distance. Far, far away, but my acute hearing caught it, but thanks to my keen hearing, I could pick up the sound. I stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of the forest, focusing all my senses. I hear the noise of squirrels scampering through the branches of the trees, the leaves rustling in the breeze, and some owl hooting in the distance. 

Amidst the sounds of nature, I heard it again—a gunshot. Without hesitation, I sprinted toward the source.

In a matter of minutes, I arrived at the scene, a desolate and sparsely populated area. I initially suspected a hunter, although it seemed odd to find one in such a remote location. Approaching quietly out of curiosity, I peeked through some bushes and was surprised to see a tall, serious-looking boy who bore a striking resemblance to Shinazugawa. My eyes widened—it was Genya, Shinazugawa's younger brother. He held a pistol and was shooting at several empty cans in the distance, seemingly practicing his aim.

The sight of a demon slayer using a gun instead of a katana caught me off guard. I watched Genya for a while, noting his impressive accuracy as he hit every can. Just when it seemed like he was going to put the gun away, a squirrel appeared in his line of sight. Genya raised his hand holding the pistol and aimed at the defenseless creature. Horror washed over me—I couldn't believe he was actually going to shoot. But then, he disengaged the safety and stared at the squirrel with intense focus and fury.

I couldn't bear it any longer. Bursting out of my hiding spot, I pleaded with Genya to stop. "Don't shoot!" I exclaimed.

Genya startled at my sudden appearance, clearly surprised that someone had been watching him. The squirrel, startled by my cry, fled in terror. Genya watched it go, then turned to me with an annoyed expression. "What are you doing?" he demanded, sounding irritated

"What am I doing? What are you doing?! You were about to shoot that poor animal!" I retorted.

Genya widened his eyes. "Huh? I wasn't going to shoot it!" he defended himself.

"Then why were you aiming the gun at it?" I asked, incredulous.

 "Because I saw movement and got scared, but I wasn't going to shoot!" Genya insisted.

"You disengaged the safety!" I persisted.

"I'm telling you, I wasn't going to shoot!" Genya gritted his teeth.