Not-So Sweet Dreams

Start from the beginning

"Like when I share my toys?"

"Exactly like that, Oki." South ruffled my hair. I paused and stared at the ground.

"Why doesn't Otō-chan like Communism?" I ask.

"I-I don't really know, Oki. It's different from what he believes so he doesn't like it." I found myself on South's lap, hugging him as he stroked my hair, sniffling.

"I think I like Communism!" I exclaimed. "Maybe I'll also be a Communist!"

"There's one problem with that idea, Oki." My face fell flat as South uttered those words. "You're a prefecture, not a country. Japan's in charge of your island."

"Oh," My energy deflated like a balloon. "So I won't get to be Communist unless Japan is Communist?"

"I'm afraid that's the case, Okinawa. You can always be a Communist by yourself." South reassured. My face instantly brightened.

"I'm a Communist!" I proudly shouted. South slammed a hand against my mouth to shut it, but it was too late. Father probably heard me. There was a foreboding silence hanging in the air followed by heavy footsteps.

"Father, no!" I heard North running up behind him. "She's practically a baby! She doesn't know what she's talking abo-"

"I'll deal with both of you now." Father growled, his footsteps getting closer and closer to South's room. My brother's grip tightened on me, my small frame practically one with South.

"Don't! She doesn't know what she's talking about!" North yelled.

"Oh no," I whispered as my father entered the room, his pale blue eyes charged with fury. Despite his expression, he approached me with a kind tone.

"Come on, Okinawa." He beckoned almost too sweetly, his voice betraying the horrifying darkness in his eyes. '"Let's learn what happens when you copy your stupid brother." He yanked me by the wrist from South's lap, my arm sore as I hung suspended in the air.

"No!" North barked, his fist flying into our father's side. He hissed before tossing North to the side. South sat frozen in terror, quaking like the waves at sea. Japan, of course, was ignorant of the situation, invariably believing Father was right and I did something wrong to be disciplined.

Father dragged me into his room while I silently prayed to the Shinto Kami that I'd make it out alive. I've never been hit by Father before, but I heard stories from the twins who were eleven years my senior. Surely, they knew what was to come. The door locked with a click as North pounded on it. Judging by the incoherent yelling, he wasn't going to relent.

In mingled curiosity and fear, I looked up at my father, wondering what he would do. Before I could ask any questions, a sharp sting exploded on my cheek. Father had slapped me.

"Ow!" I exclaimed, holding my cheek. Tears welled up in my eyes. It hurt. It hurt a lot. The breath was knocked out of my lungs as Father kicked me in the stomach. I stumbled back and lost balance, staring at the ground, dazed.

"Get up." Father ordered. I sat in shock, my eyes wide. "Are you deaf? I said get up!" I scrambled to my feet, anticipating a blow. As I squeezed my eyes shut, I felt a foot hitting me like a missile, repeatedly pushing me down and against the ground. I used my arms to cover my stomach. When Father kicked there, it hurt a lot. It felt as if he would stomp through my body any second.

I began to cry. My body ached like I never knew it before. "Shut the fuck up." Father growled, sending me flying across the room. I curled into a ball; the pounding of the door and North's shouting, Japan trying to calm him down, my father kicking me; it was all too much.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I curled up tighter and took the blows. "Stupid doujin," Father spat, "Stupid Communist."

Hours after, I lie in bed, North Korea by my side, apologizing profusely for not being able to protect me. I just lied and held his warm hand, staring at the ceiling. I turned over to him. His eyes are glazed. They're beautiful like two amethysts.

"Can you tell me a story?" I requested, my voice soft, almost raspy.

"What about?" North shifted his position and firmly rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb. I thought for a moment, thinking back to the picture of the snake.

"Snakes, please." North cocked an eyebrow then shrugged. He hesitated many times, but was able to tell me a story about a family of snakes. There were four baby snakes who lived with their mother who loved them very much. I listened intently until he finished. North kissed my forehead, bid me goodnight, and left the room, shutting the door.

Nestled into my blanket, I gazed over at the drawer that held my shisa statues. "You failed me." I coarsely whispered. "Did I make you angry by locking you away?"

Tears welled up in my eyes. I made my father angry and possibly my shisas. Father already hit me, all that was left was Miyagi and Nakamura.

On their behalf, I repeatedly hit my arm, not stopping until tears rolled down my cheeks. That's how it is, right? You upset someone, you deserve to be hurt too.

I turned to face the window and closed my eyes, my body still aching. After a few deep breaths, I fell deeply asleep, dreaming of a world where Father wasn't angry with me today.

_______

I wake up to sunlight pouring through the hospital window. Confused, I look around, then sigh when I remember where I am. Lying back on the pillow, I think over my dream. It was the first time my father ever hit me-and when I hurt myself.

"Good morning Amma." I say to the air, knowing my mother is resting right by me. I keep quiet for a few seconds so she can respond. After a moment, I stand up and get dressed.

Today is a new day, and if I'm lucky, it'll be full of kinesthetic therapy and maybe some visitors.

Have some baby Oki:

Also, this is why I don't have a publishing schedule

Also, this is why I don't have a publishing schedule. I publish almost everyday but I don't make the promise in case school is killing me and makes me publish a chapter a week "late." Even if I did have a schedule, I'd be procrastinating it until last minute.

Also, feel free to have a scenario with IJ in the comments because he is SO not cheeki breeki and we hate him