Be Careful Charlie

Începe de la început

"Go on Charlie," Bill growled, "Say something. I dare you. Say something about dragons."

Charlie looked down at the book and then back up at his brother, and then, very quietly, he said, "The Wellington Wyrm's skin is waterproof and is what the boot are na--"

It was exactly what Bill had wanted. He let out a roaring yell that came up from his belly and out of his mouth. For a fleeting moment, he wondered if that was what dragons felt like when they spit fire out of their mouths and he realized what a Charlie-like thing to think that was and how ironic it was that he was bellowing at Charlie about talking about dragons and thinking about dragons at the same time. It was Charlie's fault he was thinking about dragons, Charlie's fault for reading that stupid book all the time, for always picking it when Gideon and Fabian came to tuck them in. Charlie's fault for gushing dragon facts instead of facing facts and Bill suddenly hated-hated-hated that stupid book, hated his brother, hated everything in the entire world.

In his rage, Bill grabbed hold of the book from Charile's hands.

"Hey!" Charlie shieked, "That's MINE!"

Bill stomped to the window and chucked the book out it. It was as hard as he could toss it, but it was a big heavy book and instead of flying the distance Bill had wanted it to, it hit the roof top outside the window and slid to the very edge so that it hung half over the gutter.

Charlie let out a cry of panic, his eyes wide as he threw himself toward the window, reaching with his arms outstretched.

Bill sighed, feeling guilty as soon as he'd done it. It had felt good to throw the stupid thing but once he'd done the flush in his face had gone out of him and Charlie's cry had struck that deep core sibling protective nature in him and he sighed and said, "I'm sorry, Charlie..."

"My book! My book!" Charlie was crying.

Bill said, "Hang on, Charlie, we'll get it back." He went for the door to get Mum or Dad, and turned 'round, "C'mon Charlie, we'll get --" but when he turned, Charlie was pushing himself out of the window, sliding his bum across the sill.

Bill's eyes widened, "Charlie -- no! No! You can't go out on the roof! Charile!"

But he was out the window and the tiny boy was inching carefully toward the edge and Bill launched himself up so he was halfed over the sill himself, the wood cutting into his belly as he tried to reach his brother. But Charlie was already out of reach.

"Charlie, come back. Mum and Dad can get it by Magic, or even Uncle Bilius and --"

But Charlie was too focused to listen.

Bill turned and ran for the door - he would go upstairs, he'd bang on Uncle Bilius's door, get him to come downstairs, to get Charlie off the roof and --

But before his hand was even on the knob, Bill heard the most horrible sound in the entire world. Charlie screamed and when he turned 'round, it was to see an empty roof and for just the shortest second, as though suspended in air before his eyes, he saw Charlie, holding the book as he tipped over the edge.

"CHARLIE!"

Bill ran. He ran so fast down the stairs that he fell and tripped down half a flight and launched himself back up without even caring that he'd fallen down.

He passed Dad on the steps, who had heard the shouting and was on his way up to check on them, but Bill didn't stop, even as Dad shouted asking what was going on.

Bill spared a glance at the clock on the wall with the spoons on it, Gideon and Fabian's spoons hanging limp at the bottom and Charlie's aimed at Mortal Peril.

He blew past Mum in the kitchen, past the screaming twins and the crocodile-teared Percy...

"What on earth?" Mum yelled, but Bill didn't slow. He was out the door and running 'round the outside of the Burrow, barely able to breathe, much less answer.

Outside, the sun was reflecting off the duck pond and chickens scattered in a panic as Bill ran out the door, past the Gomer Grimes issued Wellingtons at the door that belonged to Uncle Bilius, and 'round the corner, yanking open the gate to the backyard. There was a crack as Dad disapparated to that exact spot. "What is going on!?" he demanded.

"Charlie fell off the roof!"

What was Mum going to do? What was Mum going to say when they told her Charlie had been splattered on the ground?

Dad made it 'round the corner of the house first, shouting Charlie's name in a great panic, just as Bill realized suddenly he'd been doing all the way down, and Mum came running behind, wiping her hands on her apron, and Bill grabbed hold on her, "No Mum, no you can't look!" he shouted, grabbing hold of her apron to slow her down, to stop her from going further. He was sure that he needed to protect her from the grisley scene that was going to be his brother's body, laying on the grass just 'round the corner.

He heard Dad shout his brother's name and Bill felt tears burn his eyes. Mum ran all the harder 'round Bill into the yard and Bill closed his eyes, waiting for the wailing to start.

When the wailing didn't come, Bill went 'round the corner himself and was shocked to see Charlie, just fine, being hugged half to death by Mum, who was knelt down and clutching him to her chest, his eyes wide and uncomfortable, cheeks red, as Dad hovered, holding Charlie's dragon book.

Bill ran over and wrapped himself around both Mum and Charlie, too. "You're okay!" he screamed, shaking, his nerves coming out of him suddenly as he started crying, "Charlie, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it when I said you were stupid and that I hated dragons. I don't hate them. I don't hate you, Charlie. I love you."

Charlie wriggled out of Mum's arms and turned to hug his big brother, his face bright with excitement.

Bill was still crying.

"Uncle Fabian said to tell you hullo," Charlie said, "He said for me to be more careful but he said also to tell you hullo and to always be grateful for your brothers."

Bill stared at Charlie.

Mum's voice shook. "What did you say?" she grabbed Charlie 'round the shoulders and turned him.

"When I falled down," Charlie said, "Uncle Fabian caught me. And he said whoa there Charlie, you need to be more careful."

Mum let out a cry. "Arthur!" She looked up at Dad who stared gap-mouthed at Charlie. Mum looked at Charlie, looking so sincere and pink about the cheeks, and busted into tears. "Oh Charlie, oh Charlie."

"And he said to tell Bill to be more grateful for his brothers - this has been the longest seventeen seconds of my life."