01| Annoying encounters

《Author》

《Author》

Udaipur, Rajasthan

In the eerie silence that engulfed the mansion, Advik and the accompanying police officers cautiously stepped across the threshold. Darkness shrouded every corner. The only sound that echoed through the vast emptiness was the rhythmic pitter-patter of raindrops against the decaying windows. As they ventured further, each step in a tiptoe. a beam of light pierced through the darkness, cutting through the heavy air. Their breath caught in their throats as the light approached, blinding them momentarily, until a figure emerged from the blinding glow.

"Oops! Hi," a voice exclaimed, filled with a mix of embarrassment and mischief, as the torch lowered, it's beam revealed a young woman standing before them.

Advik huffed in annoyance, his gaze fixated on her, his piercing stare boring into her very soul. The tension in the room grew palpable as her eyes met his, her gaze shifting from the other four men to him.

"Yes, sir, this girl right here," a young boy of twenty pointed at her.

"Hmm... we'll take care of her," Advik said, his eyes locked on her, who frowned in response.

"Hey, you girl! What are you doing here so late?" the constable approached her, his tone filled with suspicion.

"Ramlal ji, she's my fiancée," Advik intervened before she could defend herself.

"Saanjh, Let's go," he signaled, and she swiftly exited the mansion, not before showing a punch to the two guys who had complained about her trespassing.

Barely 2 months ago, 26 year old, Saanjh, returned to India after successfully completing her MSC in bioarchaeology at Oxford University. Despite the allure of pursuing her studies abroad, she made a heartfelt decision to continue her PhD in India, driven by her deep connection to her homeland. Having actively participated in excavations during her time in Oxford, Saanjh was brimming with excitement to embark on her first archaeological excavation in her home country but couldn't wait for an official excavation to land up on her desk.

She stood with Advik in the verandah of the mansion, waiting for the rain to subside."I was here for research," Saanjh explained, her arms crossed defensively across her chest as she spoke to Advik.

"Get a license first," Advik retorted, rolling his eyes.

"By the way, what a nice time to go for a research right," he taunted, as they stood there, surrounded by darkness and rain.

"I prefer to work in peace," Saanjh shot back confidently.

"Didn't you find peace alone at home?" Advik air quoted the word Alone, a smirk forming on his lips.

Saanjh's jaw dropped, her frustration mounting, as she stormed outside the mansion into the pouring rain.

"I'll drive back home. There's no need for you to accompany me," she declared, determined to prove her independence.