viii.

Before she could soak in his warmth, he pulled them apart. It was an impulsive touch, laced with desperation and guilt. He could barely maintain eye contact with her. Sanchita on the other hand was gazing at him intently, as if this could present him bare, with his feelings before her. 

When Nihar didn't look up, she sighed, " Let go of me. " and pry off his hands, that were merely holding hers. 

He exhaled, finally meeting her eyes, " What's so difficult for you to accept my apology? I'm sorry and guilty as f- " he checked his rudeness in time, " -it's not my first time saying sorry to someone, and I'm sure not your first time either to give forgiveness. Whatever I've said that day- if you want, I can surely provide you with an explanation. Just end this. " 

" End what? " Sanchita rolled her eyes at his tone. 

" This! Your indifference, your silence. " 

" Why? Is it affecting you? " she didn't voice out the real question that's been in her mind. 

Am I affecting you? Just like, how you affected me? 

When he didn't answer, she gave him a wary smile, " Let's talk about it some other time. Once we get back to hom- your house. " and he kept looking at her walking away, defeated.

Knock! Knock! 

" You don't need my permission to come in. It's 'your' house remember? " Nihar sighed coming to stand behind Sanchita, who's standing looking over the window. 

" Sarcasm don't suit you, Sanchita? " she snorted. 

" Of course, it's your thing. " she turned to face him this time, raising her eyebrows, " I didn't think you'd take the apology shit this seriously. But anyways, I've forgiven you. " 

She answered his unasked questions. 

"Yeah, I did a long time ago. Partly because, I'm not a cruel-heartless-jerk like you and partly because- just. Now go, tuck your grumpy ass in the bed and have a good night sleep. " that's when she noticed the thing in his hand, with the moonlight coming from the open window. 

" Is that a- " Nihar settled himself on the floor motioning her to join him. A patch of silvery shine from the moon, surrounded their small sitting arrangement on the carpeted floor. 

He settled the guitar between them. Sanchita gasped in surprise, her hands itching to hold the instrument yet afraid of his reaction. The last time she touched his possession, it didn't end well. 

" You know I wanted to be a singer, when I was a kid. Always enthusiastic about learning different instruments. On my childish demand, dad bought me this guitar. He said that he want me to practice it and surprise mom on her next birthday. The birthday that never came. " Sanchita knew it. His mother passed away in the accident. 

" When they left me, I cling to this thing to keep my parents close to me. To keep dad close to me. But, after I lost my hearing sense, it was like the final strike that pulled my parents away from me. That finally I lost my mom and dad. My passion, my dreams; their dreams. I stopped singing, I stopping listening to music. Heck, I even stopped talking. Silence become my bestfriend, the bestfriend that never left me, unlike my parents. " he blinked several to push back the tears. 

" I was not saying this to gain your sympathy. It's all a part of me and I don't need anyone to sympathise with me. I was just want to let you know that- that my childhood was not that good. I've denied going to the school for deaf children, despite knowing that I've deformities in me. " 

" No, you don't have deformities. It's just a disorder. You don't need to be so hard on yourself, Nihar. " Sanchita cupped his cheek, he didn't pull back. 

" But the life was hard on me, even cruel. I was bullied. And that day when you said, you've my hearing aids, I remembered how my bullies used to- it triggered me and I vent it out on you. Shouldn't have, realised the very moment, but I've a devil of a ego to ask for forgiveness. " he smiled, and Sanchita felt like having a meltdown, even if it can't be called a proper smile. 

" But I know, a simple sorry won't be enough, that's why I brought this with me. I saw the spark in your eyes when it comes to music, something that I used to have once. So, you keep it. " he handed her the guitar, " It's not as if I know how to play it neither have I any interest. You'll make some good music with it. And dad will be happy that it's been of use to someone. " Sanchita was at loss of words. 

" You're really giving me your guitar? " 

" Should I pinch you? " a full blown smile make it up to his face. 

" You're smiling? Oh my god, this day should be declared as the most special day. Firstly, you said sorry. Secondly you give your instrument. Thirdly you talked the most today, maybe more than you talked in your entire life. Fourth and most importantly, you smiled. Freaking showed your teeth! I don't think my poor heart could take any more. " 

" Oh but there's more. " her gaping mouth doubled his amusement, " You're going to sing for me now. " 

" Agar shock ki wajah se mujhe kuch ho gaya, toh jail me complain tumhare naam pe hi likhaungi. " but nonetheless  picked up a tune and hummed a little. 

Perched beside her cross-legged, Nihar cradled his face in his palm, putting his weight on his elbow. All his attention on her. His heart beat in rhythm with her tune. 

' Alag tujhmein asar kuch hain
Ke dikhta nahin magar kuch hain ' 

He smiled shaking his head, feeling the words seeping into his mind. Is she expressing her feelings, through this song? 

' Fida hoon main toh ek nazar bass
Ek nazar bass, ek nazar takk ke
Lagein bhi toh yeh aur kidhar ab
Aur kidhar dil, sang tere lagg ke 
Sahi woh bhi lagein mujhko 
Galat tujhmein agar kuch hain ' 

Sanchita carresed his cheek, brushing away his unruly hair from his forehead. The other still clutching the guitar to her chest. It had become her priced possession. 

' Tumse kiran dhoop ki 
Tumse siyaah raat hain 
Tum bin main bin baat ka 
Tum ho tabhi kuch baat hai ' 

Both of them had lost themselves in the moment, as she struck the final chord. And then, shocking her beyond measure, Nihar leaned closer and placed his lips on hers. 

~•~

First kiss!!!! Mere bacche  finally got their moment *happy tears* What's your views on this, do share. And also do comment and share. Constructive criticism is welcomed. ☺❤