Chapter 3

I went downstairs even though I didn't have much appetite because it's one of the rules that we have to have a meal together at least once a day.

Adrian: How was your day?

"It was productive. What about you?" I said this after chewing and swallowing the food in my mouth.

Adrian: We finally signed the contract I told you about.

"Congratulations." I said it half-heartedly, as it was no surprise; it was Adrian, and of course he signed the contract.

Adrian said, Thanks," after taking a sip of wine.

The rest of the dinner went silently. I don't want to have any kind of conversation with him, but I live here, so I have to follow some pleasantries.

"I'm full. Thank you for the delicious food, Mrs. Stuart. Goodnight, sir." I quickly wiped my mouth with a napkin and stood up.

Adrian: ...

I was particularly in a hurry because I wanted to talk to Michael. I took a shower and changed into an oversized shirt as I was planning to sleep right after calling Michael. At my house, I used to sleep in my underwear, but obviously, I'm no longer there.

 At my house, I used to sleep in my underwear, but obviously, I'm no longer there

*ring-ring*

Michael: Hey, baby. What's up? He doesn't suspect anything, right?

"Yeah. I just wanted to talk to you. Have you had dinner yet?"

Michael: Yeah, I was just about to go to sleep.

"Okay, then sweet dreams. I'll see you tomorrow."

Michael: Why tomorrow? I'll see you in your dreams tonight. Goodnight.

"Goodnight." I felt weird, mostly because I felt no change in my emotions. I am supposed to feel better after talking to the person I love, right?

*Knock-knock* My thoughts were interrupted.

"Who is it?" I asked, unsure of the identity of the person on the other side of the door.

Adrian: "May I come in?"

"Yes." I replied hesitantly. What does he want?

Adrian: "I just wanted to tell you..." He trailed off mid-sentence as he looked at me. I didn't pay attention. I'd rather finish this conversation as quickly as possible.

"Tell me what?" I asked impatiently.

Adrian: Yeah, there is a party next week in celebration of the deal our company made today. I forgot to inform you, he said as he looked away from me. What the hell? At least look at me when we are talking.