Releasing His Pent Up Emotions

Start from the beginning

"I managed to get a fire going just as the sun set. I did it just the way you showed me, Marco. In the middle of the path from the entrance to where you'll sleep. But out of the wind to keep it going longer."

"Wait.... you taught him that?"

Thatch asks, surprised. Looking at Marco, who blushes and looks away embarrassed.

Luffy looks at Thatch confused.

"What are you surprised about? It's just a camping tip."

Thatch just glances at Luffy before staring at Marco once more.

"Yeah... but it's one I taught Marco when we were kids. He always called me a dork for figuring it out from cooking."

Luffy's spins his head to face Marco in surprised happiness.

"Really? You passed that on? In memory of Thatch? Is that why you made us practice until we got it, right?"

Marco's blush deepens as he buries his head in Luffy's hair before nodding his head at his mate and brother.

"Aww, that's so sweet of you, Marco! Did you teach them anything else?"

Marco unburied his head enough to show his glaring eyes to his brother. His blush was still heavy on his cheeks.

"Shut up, Thatch. And if I did, I'm not telling you."

With that, he buried his head in Luffy's hair once more.

Everyone snickered at Marco and Thatch, glad they could still banter like always.

Deciding to cut his pineapple some slack, Luffy continues from where he left off.

"Where was I? Oh! Right. So it was probably a spring island, but it felt like a blistering summer to me with the fever my wounds had caused."

Many commanders looked concerned but stayed quiet.

Marco was saddened by this fact, tightening his hold on Luffy before voicing his thoughts.

"It was all we could do just to stop the bleeding on the fatal wound that mutt gave him. There was nothing else we could do but get him out of there. I really wish we could have done more, Luffy.... I'm so, so sorry...."

"GRRRrrrrrrrrr."

Everyone startles at the sudden growling that fills the air. Many looked to Marco thinking it was him, but even he and Izo looked startled. Both of whom were staring at Luffy with wide eyes and dropped jaws.

Izo, with a bit of trepidation, was the one to speak first, though.

"Luffy? Ototo? Did you....just....growl?"

Suddenly, it was quiet again. But now all eyes were glued to the boy with the straw hat. And they watched as he tried really hard to curl into a tight ball, pulling the three commanders closer in an attempt to hide even more.

"Lu? Hey... what's wrong? Talk to me hun."

Marco tried to get his attention, but all he got was silence and shaking from his little sun.

"Ototo? What's wrong?"

Izo was getting really concerned at the continued silence.

"Kiddo? Everything ok?"

Even Thatch was worried. And that spiked the next second as a sound left the balled form of Monkey D. Luffy.

Only the three holding him and the captain, who they were still sitting in the lap of, could hear it, but a soft, pained whimper came from within the tight ball Luffy was curled into.