I shake my head in apology. "I'm not telling you. And it's to protect you, not them." Only the truth this time.

"You really have no idea what you put me through, don't you? What it takes to be here right now." He sounded so bitter. So heartbroken. And I have to look away because I am crying.

"I'm really sorry." My voice is too quiet, I don't know if he hears me right. "I swear I'll pay—"

"It's not about the money, Violet!" He snaps. I think he never raised his voice at me before. And I think, he realizes it, too because then, he looks like he's trying to control his emotion. "Can't you see?"

"What do you expect me to do?" My question sounds like a plea. Ugly tears run down my cheeks as I'm begging him to tell me how to fix this.

"Come here." He says suddenly.

A confusion over my face. "What?"

"Come here." He repeats. "Please." I do. I take steps toward him. Slowly. Unsurely. When I am on his reach, he immediately pulls me by my wrist. "I miss you in my arms." He whispers as I fall right into his embrace.

The sudden move shocks me, but as realization hits, I melt and sob harder.

His hold tightens around me. And I can almost hear him mutter, "fuck," under his breath.

He's most likely regretting this. But I feel like I understand it in some way. As though he can't help himself and decide to be lost in the center of the storm instead.

"I screwed up. I'm so sorry." I say against his chest, between my sobs and his hushed whisper.

"Damn right you did." He murmurs, yet his hand soothing my back. A contradiction of his words.

God, I don't deserve him. I am such a monster. I'm selfish. I am a liar. I am everything he should avoid.

"I don't know how to fix this, Dave." I tell him truthfully. There's no way to fix this.

He sighs. He looks and sounds tired. Like my betrayal affects him more than he lets on. "I really love those paintings." He says.

It only makes me cry harder and his absurd response is laughing. The man laughs. As if he finds the situation funny. He has a weird coping mechanism.

"I love them, too." I reply. His button down is soaked with my tears, but he doesn't seem to mind.

"Tell me who's behind it. Who's threatening you?" He questions, deadly calmer this time.

"No. They'll kill you. They—"

"Are they in the mafia? Based in New York?" My eyes widen and I make a mistake to look up at him in surprise. He frowns, seemingly raking his brain. "Wait, Valenti? Vitto Valenti?"

His eyes narrow. Those flames of rage ignite.

"How can you—"

"That motherfucker." He curses under his breath, hand curling in a fist on my back. I can tell he's furious as he's learning another fact about me. "How the hell are you acquaintanced with him?"

I also want to ask how he knows him, but I don't think it's my place to.

I divert my gaze. "It's a long story."

"Well, I have time." He retorts sarcastically.

I hold back rolling my eyes, deciding for honest answer. "I was indebted to him."

"How?"

I take two steps back and he lets me. His arms fall back to his sides.

"What else?" I utter sourly. "I stole from him and it apparently didn't end well."