| vi. THEY 𝘿𝙊𝙉'𝙏 DESERVE YOU

vi. THEY 𝘿𝙊𝙉'𝙏 DESERVE YOU

AMOR VINCIT OMNIA
MASTERS OF THE AIR

—————————-

THORPE ABBOTTS

2 MINUTES AFTER
MECHANICAL FAILURE

      || THERE'S A NUMBNESS THAT ENVELOPES THE MIND IN A MOMENT OF FEAR—A RIGIDNESS THAT CLAIMS HOLD OF ANY THOUGHT. One moment is suspended in comfort, whilst the next is a fleeting glimpse of trepidation. A flick of the finger is all it takes for a world to be turned upside down. The events had transpired so rapidly that Celeste didn't have the opportunity to process.

Amid the thunderous clash of her meeting the unforgiving ground, the yells that came from her boys turned on her flight or fight mode—bringing her back to a bygone time. Their rapid footsteps contrasted against a deafening thud. A pitiful groan then rent the serene atmosphere— a reverberating metallic clang echoing on the hardened surface.

" Sorry, sorry." Lemmons shouted rather hastily, frankly out of breath. "The engine is fine, I just dropped the pail." Yet even with that remark, Egan still clutched onto her with fervor— nestling his head within the curve of her neck. Even she dare not to stir, as In a strange twist, Celeste felt herself drawn closer to him.

The individual whom merely hours, days, weeks before had aroused disdain within her. Her grip tightened around his shearling coat—seeking an intimacy she couldn't quite comprehend. Albeit her consciousness was rebelling against it. Was she craving a caress or an embrace following a lengthy absence?

The hushed whispers from the worried crowd of onlookers carried upon the wind. Most were from the Woman's auxiliary land brigade—having been attending to cattle. Even a few of the 100th was there, each gawking at what happened. Perhaps a bad omen to use this craft after the carnage from Bremen.

She had squeezed her eyes so tightly, they were physically shaking. It was only when Lemmons' authoritative voice cut through the din, ensuring everyone's safety, that Celeste finally mustered the courage to stir.

Quite hesitant, Celeste fluttered opened her eyes only to reveal Egan's—his scanning every part of her face for any wounds. Being Inches apart, they found themselves quickly locked in a silent exchange—their eyes mirroring a multitude of unspoken words.

Having her so close after tirelessly vying for her attention stirred a tempest awakening—albeit in the form of an unwelcome arousal. Mentally cursing himself that of all times, it had to be now.

The tips of their noses barely touched, lips parted slightly as if both meant to speak—yet not finding the words. Had the invisible threads of tension been tangible, they would have crackled with electricity above.

Words lingered unspoken as Egan managed a shaky chuckle—was he really nervous for once in his life. But she didn't dare to move herself, only slowly unclenching her fingers from the fabric where her nails left indents. "Sorry..." she whispered—knowing he quite liked that jacket.

But when he smiled, Celeste quickly noted it was different.. it was one of sincerity. The young woman couldn't help but find herself fixated on the curls of his rich brunette hair—the way each playfully dancing across his forehead. Then trailing down to notice the way the corner of his eyes slightly creased. Perhaps in that moment, she held understanding as to why the girls swooned over him.