| V. EYES DON'T LIE

v. EYES DON'T LIE

AMOR VINCIT OMNIA
MASTERS OF THE AIR

AMOR VINCIT OMNIA MASTERS OF THE AIR

——————————

THORPE ABBOTS
EAST ANGLIA,
JUNE 25TH-27TH 1943

| THE SYMPHONY OF WAR ECHOED THROUGH THE SKIES WHILST ITS GHASTLY TALONS OF DEATH threatened to reach beyond the boundaries of reality—casting a sinister shadow over the hearts of airmen. The date was June 25th, a day draped in uncertainty and dread. The 100th squadron, under the leadership of Major Cleven, had only just acclimatized to their new surroundings a mere 3 days ago.

Whilst their rigorous training back home had honed their skills for combat, nothing could have prepared them for the harrowing events that awaited in the sky. For many young airmen, this marked their first mission and possibly their last.

Celeste, fraught with anxiety, observed the ominous morning sky as the mission drew near. Jackson, now reassigned to fly in Cleven's aircraft, added an extra layer of concern for her. She traced a trembling finger over the date on the calendar, her heart racing in trepidation. "It'll be just like every other time," she whispered to herself, attempting to quell her rising panic.

But deep down, she knew this mission was different. She wouldn't be by Jackson's side, safeguarding him against his impulsive decisions. While the Bostonian possessed street smarts, his lack of aerial smarts always posed a danger.

Now, Celeste had to place her trust in Major Cleven to ensure Jackson's safe return—along with the rest of the squadron. In the brief encounters she'd had with the commanding officer, she found solace in his presence. His voice carried a reassuring warmth that had always comforted her soul. However, when the group returned—she detected a rare flicker of fear in the young major's eyes. In all her years of flying, Celeste knew that look all too well.

But because of the mission's unsatisfactory performance, it was deemed best to push her B-17 training till June 27th. Most of the men that returned were locked in a dreary lack of confidence with none of the planes ever dropping a single bomb—Bremen had taken out 30 men and 3 planes in a matter of minutes. But against all the odds, Jackson had made it back in one piece, as did Yankee.

June 27th came just as fast as the 25th had. And Celeste saw it fit to be at the air base early—meeting with lemmons to put her mechanic training to good use on the damaged Bombers. As she worked away, with the young corporal beside her, he felt it necessary to tell her that Major Egan was already at the base. Even before the sun kissed the night away.