The Voice Inside My Head

Author's Note: This one was inspired by a story a friend wrote. Similarly to a lot of my other stories, I had character sheets and drafts ready for it, but then stopped/forgot this existed, so yeah...

○●○●○●○●○●○●○

A family was moving into the abandoned apartment. A dark figure watched as they entered the house with the person with the keys. They talked about the apartment's history, but left out the most interesting part about it: the disappearance and death of a child. That was years ago, but even to that day, there are always a few people who bring flowers and candles to the child's altar by the entrance of the apartment building. The dark figure noticed that a boy from the group swayed away from them and headed towards the altar. He stared at the image at the top. He didn't do anything, he just... began to cry... The dark figure was so confused. Never once has anyone ever gone to the altar and cried for the child. The boy began to wipe his tears and felt somebody was watching him. He looked around, but no one was in sight.

"Shin? Shin, where are you?" Both the boy and the dark figure turned to where the woman's voice was coming from.

"Coming!"

He quickly left something there, and ran inside. The figure waited until he was out of sight and went towards the altar. A chocolate coin. The figure was dumbfounded though they did slip a giggle and faded. The boy ran up the stairs, and felt a chill go down his spine. He shuddered. Must've been me. He caught up with the group, and then the news was given: they decided to take the apartment.

★☆★☆★

Dinner was quiet as always. The boy finished first and excused himself from the table. He went to his room, opened one of the many boxes he had, and began to unpack. He eventually heard his younger siblings play in the room next door. Sigh. Time passed and he opened his fourth box. At the very top lay a new notebook. He ripped off the plastic, opened it to the first blank page, took out a pen, and began to write.

July 26

Hello. My name is Shin Gaspar. I'm 14 years old (for now). It's a pleasure to write here for the first time. I hope we can be friends. I recently moved into this new apartment, and if I'm being honest, I don't like it. There was an altar of a girl, maybe around my age, out in the front. Something tells me she died here? I left a chocolate coin brought back from Mexico because I didn't want to seem rude. When visiting the place for the first time, I told my mom I had a strange feeling while going up the stairs. I told her I felt as if someone was watching us, but she shrugged it off because she and her brother, Uncle Ren, didn't feel anything. Even though Uncle came with us, he isn't going to live with us. I'm going to be living here with my mom and my younger siblings, Hiro and Kanae. Mom and I are going to have our own rooms, meanwhile the twins are going to share the other. Even though it's just the four of us, I feel as if there's a fifth person present, and I think I'm the only one who knows this because no one else notices the things I do. I wish it would leave us alone, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Even now, I have the feeling they're watching me. I better go now. It's almost midnight and if my mom catches me up this late again, she'll get mad especially since tonight's a school night. I'll write more tomorrow. Goodnight.

Your friend,
Shin

★☆★☆★

He had written for hours, and he eventually began to yawn. He put everything away, turned off the lights, and laid in bed. When he began to snuggle himself, he noticed something on the window. A shadow just floating there. Shin got out of bed, slowly getting closer and opened the curtains. Nothing. He opened the window and popped his head outside. "Hello?" He turned left, nothing. He turned right, he saw his mom smoking. She noticed him and coughed a bunch of times, she even had a hard time trying to speak.

"What the hell are you doing? It's past midnight! You should be asleep by now!"

"Sorry, mom!" The boy quickly popped his head back in, closed his window, sprinted to bed, wrote something briefly in the journal, and finally got commodious in his bed where he slept until the sun rose. The dark figure watched as all that happened and just giggled.

"Goodnight, Shin," it whispered.

★☆★☆★

July 26

P.S. Mom got mad at me for being up late. Goodnight.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Author's Note: You can find my inspiration at danielm07 !! Think I might continue this one again, so if I take this one out of this book, keep an eye out for the full version later... 🤔 (So far I have 2 other chapters ready...)