Our Broken Promise

Author's note: Ok, yes, I know the title is dumb, and also, yes, this was my first and only attempt at a dark/horror story, but because I suck at those genres, I gave up 🤷‍♀️. No matter how many I tried to write something scary, it always ends with rainbkos and sunshine, so I'm like 🗑. Also... yes... this was during the whole Twilight fiasco, so yeah...

○●○●○●○●○●○●○

We're the people of a cult that give up their lives for a useless purpose. We are sinners. We are their vassals, their slaves until we are no more. We are the people who agreed to be their prey for eternity.

My mother was the leader, the head priestess. My father... well... I don't know anything about him, except that he just left my mother, who was a couple of months pregnant with me. He returned after I was born, dead. The event was too gruesome, or so I heard. The body laid there with an eyeless head on top, covered with a small handkerchief. His body skinned except for the head, maggots coming in and out the holes. My mother was afraid for the five year old me. She worried for my safety as the heir of the divine blessing.

To keep everyone safe, she commanded that my people were to build walls to protect us from anymore harms, but I personally find it idiotic. Why the hell couldn't you have built them before? "Because our masters forbade it," explained my aunt. My mother didn't care, and built a mere wall around us. She was trapping us within.

During its construction, I snuck past the walls to discover the outside world. I thought it was going to be a beautiful experience, and it was: butterflies flying above my head, birds singing, beautiful faunas in sight, but even reality hits you with the worst. It was a nightmare coming to reality. I saw a man's corpse lying on the ground with something on top of him. I was frozen, tears not wanting to come out of my eyes. I wanted to yell, but I knew that would be stupid. The one on top didn't look human. He was pale, scarlet eyes, crimson fluids all over him. If I'm right, I thought, then one single sniff could be enough information for him to realize that I was there.

I heard someone whispering. It was faint for me, but loud enough for the monster, for it looked up. I stepped back, and as my foot touched the floor, snapping a nearby branch, it turned and charged towards me. I tried to run away, but like in any horror tale, I tripped on nothing. Cowardly, I turned to see behind me, only to feel a cold, gooey liquid touch my face causing me to rapidly close my eyes. When I opened them, a man was piercing the thing's chest with his bare hand. It seemed the man took out the monster's heart, and when he did so, he crushed the organ with his own fingers. He dropped it on top of the corpse, and started cleaning his hand with a small handkerchief he had.

I always wondered though, how do you clean up that much blood? Especially with a small hankie? He literally had cleaned himself up, no blood in sight, and finally he turned his attention towards me. "Are you alright," he said as he stretched out the deadly hand towards me, "my dear Diana?"

I felt stupid, weak. I didn't have enough strength to respond. My eyes were closing by themselves. The last thing I remembered falling and watching him pick me up. He started whispering something faint to my ear. I laid my head next to his chest, and heard no heartbeat. Who is he? Is he also one of them? Why is he calling me his dear? I don't even know him! Isn't this kind of disturbing since he is like an adult and I was just a brat? It didn't seem to matter at the moment. After all, I was just a brat who sneaked away from home, and regretted it.

My eyes finally closed. Darkness. I don't know why, but it feels reassuring to be surrounded by the dark. That feeling started to fade when I saw a small feeble light.

"Di?," I heard. "DIANA!" I was slapped across my face. "ARGH!" I hissed while putting my hands on my warm cheek. My aunt went and hugged me. "Oh," she whimpered, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to be that hard." (Please, as if that was a weak slap.) I woke up to find my aunt, Mirana. She was my mom's younger twin. She is also the new high priest ever since my mother's death. On my tenth birthday, my mother also abandoned me to negotiate with the leader of the monsters. Turns out she pissed them off, and got killed. She never made it home, just their messenger. "If you people want to live," it stated, "then hand over the princess. Do so, and we will then free all of you. Blah, blah, blah" (I don't recall and I'm too lazy to remember). He left snickering, and thankfully, my people didn't betray me. They didn't because my aunt stepped in and took me as her own.

My aunt was only 20 years old, single, and strong, but even I knew I couldn't stay by her side forever. Now, she's 29. I was scared, but then, after my 13th birthday, I decided to run away.
Right now, my main goal is to protect my people. My main goal is to not leave my aunt Mirana with a lot of pain. My first and main goal is to defeat the leader of this bloody hell.

Unfortunately, everything went downhill because of him. If I hadn't met him, things wouldn't be this way. Then again, I think I'm glad to have met you... Charles...

○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Author's note: I promise to never step into this territory again. Dumb fact though: I have a total of 4 chapters done for this 🗑
P.S. some of you might recognize this, yes I changed the title, no it isn't any better than the last one 💀