17

When Christian opened one of the twin doors to walk onto the outdoor patio, his family were outside as John promised. "Are you ready little brother?" Ashley greeted with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

"Please don't mess with me." Christian said. "Save that for before or after my lessons."

"Spoil sport." Ashley muttered with a pout.

"The little squirt is right." Jacob told her. "We can't afford to lose time. Besides, who will tease him if he's not around?"

"I'm standing right here." Christian began to have a feeling of deja vu with how his siblings are talking.

"Yeah. Yeah. Hold your horses." Roger retorted him.

Calvin cleared his throat. "I say we start by figuring out which traits are more dominant than the others. Then we can see if you need to learn werewolf or vampire defenses."

Tracy hummed. "I'm not sure it'll be that easy dear." she said to Calvin. "The others were easier to tell what their dominant traits were. But my little guy is harder to decipher."

Why am I harder to figure out?" Christian asked in annoyance.

He grumbled when Jacob ruffled his hair. "It's pretty obvious who the werewolves and vampires of the family are. But when it comes to you, we're still debating if you're more of a werewolf or more of a vampire."

"You're not as rugged as the werewolves despite not minding being outside." Ashley chimed in.

"Yeah, but you're not as prim and proper like a vampire would at a ball." Roger added.

"But you love meat like a werewolf." Ashley observed. "And did fail the blood tasting."

"And failed to hunt." Roger stated. "You were only successful when your inner conscious emerged on occasion."

"Please make them stop." Christian pleaded with his parents. "This isn't helping."

"I hate to admit it, but they make a valid point."

"Really dad?"

"It could take decades to decide, but you may be what we call a merger."

"A merger?"

"It's where neither of your traits are dominant." Troy answered as he entered with refreshments. "Your supernatural traits merged equally, making it harder to decide what you are."

"If that's the case. We'll have to work on what we already know about you." Christian's mom spoke.

"He's doomed." Roger commented making the others narrow their eyes at him. "You know it's true. The only thing this goofball has learned to do is shift and do shadow puppets."

"Hey." Christian frowned at Roger.

Sarah cleared her throat. "It's a start."

"Troy." Calvin called out.

"Yes master."

"Contact my old acquaintance from England. Unfortunately I never learned shadow magic, but he mastered it."

"Yes master." Troy headed inside to do as asked.

"In the meantime you may have to practice shifting in order to camouflage yourself when you head out."

"What about work?" Christian asked. "I can't go in a different form. What if Graham goes there?"

"I can talk to everyone at the coffee shop and persuade them to see you as yourself regardless of what you look like."

"No way." Christian said. "It doesn't seem right to hypnotize my boss and coworkers."

"But you're safety is apparent."

"No." Calvin crossed his arms and sulked at Christian.

"At least disguise yourself before and after work hours." Sarah requested.

"Fine." Christian muttered. "But only before and after work."

"That's all we ask." Sarah said.

Ashley squealed in delight. "Ooh. Make-over. Let me get a few magazines to practice with."

Christian groaned as the others smile in amusement.