Penance

Everyone spoke amongst themselves, some quieter than others. Gray and Lucy stared down at the table in front of them, their thoughts so conflicted that none of them dared say a word. 

‘Was I too harsh to Natsu?’ He thought to himself as he glanced over at Lucy, who felt the same way as him. ‘Wonder what's going through her head?’

Lucy, as much as she wanted to believe that Natsu wasn't a monster, she couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt in her heart. She knew this was all wrong to do to him, but her fears were completely taking over her every thought.

“Why is the master supporting Natsu?”

“More of the question is why aren't we?”

Gajeel rolled his eyes in a scoff. “I guess you've all forgotten how much he's saved all of your sorry asses.”

Everyone looked at the Iron Dragon slayer before suddenly the guild doors swung up, and out came the Scarlet Knight herself, Erza.

“Everyone, I have returned!” She shouted for the whole guild to hear.

“Welcome back, Erza!” Mirajaine beamed with a bright smile. “You must be hungry after your long journey, I'll fix you up with some strawberry cheesecake.”

Erza raised her gauntlet in protest, “that's quite alright, Mira, but I will ask,” she glanced around the guild, trying to spot the salmon haired dragon slayer. “Where is Natsu? I figured he would be here, causing a ruckus.”

Everyone's expressions turned grim as they looked down at the floor in shame. They were all afraid to admit what they said to Natsu. One word about any of it, and they would be seeing an early grave.

Erza, being as perceptive as she was, noticed the atmosphere of the room grew dark. Her brow furrowed in agitation of everyone's silence on the subject. “Why is nobody saying anything?”

The room was still quiet as her teeth gritted in anger, staring at all of her fellow guild mates. “Answer me!” Her voice grew louder by the minute, “WHERE IS NATSU?!”

“Erza I-”

Gray couldn't say one word fast enough before he felt a hand grab onto his arm tightly. In a swift moment, Erza snatched his hand and was now staring at him with daggers. “Gray… what did you do?”

“Erza, that's enough. I will explain, since all of them are ridden with guilt,” It was Master Makarov's voice as he walked towards the knight.

Erza let go of Gray's arm before turning her attention to her master. “Speak,” she said firmly.

The little old man let out a sigh before directing his attention to her. “Two weeks after you left for your mission.. something happened.”

Erza's heart tightened as she started to begin the worst had happened while she was away.

Makarov noticed her expression before raising his hand. “Not like that, he's very much alive.”

She breathed a sigh of relief before looking down at the master, demanding he finish.

He nodded gently before speaking once more. “Gray snapped at Natsu for what happened in Alvarez, demanding he leave the guild and never return.”

Erza's eyes widened in shock as she shot Gray a death glare.

“Natsu…” Makarov paused for a moment, afraid to say anything more.

“Tell me Master, what happened?” Her patience was reaching its near limit.

“Natsu offered for Gray to kill him…” The old man turned away, close to tears. “To honor his father's promise of destroying E.N.D.”