Chapter 5 Sanctuary

As Lysander stirred from unconsciousness, he found himself in an unfamiliar place, surrounded by soft light filtering through the windows. Blinking groggily, he struggled to make sense of his surroundings, his mind still clouded with the remnants of sleep.

Fear gripped him as he realized he didn't know where he was or how he had ended up here. His heart pounded erratically in his chest, and a sense of panic threatened to overwhelm him. The room seemed to close in around him, suffocating him with its unfamiliarity.

Pushing himself into a sitting position, Lysander winced as pain flared through his body, a stark reminder of the ordeal he had endured. His hands trembled as he clutched the edge of the couch, his breaths coming in short, ragged gasps.

Gradually, his surroundings came into focus. He was lying on a comfortable couch, a warm blanket draped over him. The room was cozy and inviting, with furnishings that exuded a sense of comfort and familiarity. For a moment, he couldn't remember how he had ended up here, his memory fragmented and disjointed.

As he took in his surroundings, fragments of memory began to surface in his mind. The chilling image of Marinfino, the treacherous advisor, flashed before his eyes, followed by the sensation of falling, and then darkness.

Lysander's heart raced as he pieced together the events that had led him here. He remembered the frantic escape through the forest, the sound of barking dogs, and the feeling of desperation as he stumbled and fell into the ditch.

But how had he ended up in this place? And who had brought him here?

As he struggled to make sense of it all, a voice broke through the haze of his thoughts. Turning his head, Lysander saw a figure standing nearby, their expression one of concern and compassion.

"Are you alright?" the voice asked, and Lysander realized it belonged to a young woman with kind eyes and a gentle demeanor.

Lysander managed a weak nod in response to the woman's question, his voice hoarse as he attempted to speak. "I... I think so," he croaked, his throat dry and scratchy from disuse.

The woman approached him slowly, her movements cautious as if she were afraid of startling him. "You took quite a tumble," she remarked softly. "But don't worry, you're safe now. My name is Phoebe."

"Lysan..." Lysander hesitated, his voice trailing off before he corrected himself. "S-Sora," he stammered, a flicker of uncertainty crossing his features as he lied about his name. "My name is Sora."

Phoebe regarded him with a curious expression, her gaze probing yet compassionate. "Sora," she repeated softly as if testing the name on her lips. "Well, Sora, it's nice to meet you."

Lysander offered a weak smile in response, though guilt gnawed at him for deceiving her. But he couldn't risk revealing his true identity, not when his life may still be in danger.

however, his mind buzzed with questions. "I appreciate your help, Phoebe," he replied, his voice wavering slightly. "But... how did I end up here? And... where exactly am I?"

Phoebe's expression softened with understanding as she sat beside him on the couch. "You're in my home," she explained, her gaze thoughtful. "I found you unconscious in the forest, near a ditch. It looked like you had taken quite a tumble."

"Yeah, I suppose I did," Lysander replied, his gaze drifting down to his injured heel, which was bent at a somewhat awkward angle.

Phoebe's brows furrowed with concern as she noticed Lysander's injured heel. "Let me take a look at that," she offered, reaching out with gentle hands to examine the injury.

Lysander nodded gratefully, allowing Phoebe to inspect his heel. As she carefully examined the injury, he couldn't help but feel a sense of relief

"It looks like you've sprained it," Phoebe remarked, her tone reassuring. "Nothing too serious, but you'll need to rest and keep off of it for a while."

Lysander nodded in understanding, though his mind raced with worry about how he would explain his sudden appearance and injury to Phoebe.

"Thank you," he murmured softly, his gaze meeting Phoebe's "For taking care of me."

Phoebe smiled warmly, her eyes reflecting a kindness that eased Lysander's troubled mind. "Of course," she replied softly. "You're welcome here for as long as you need."

Despite the comfort of Phoebe's words, Lysander couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered in the back of his mind. He knew he couldn't stay hidden forever, and that he would eventually need to confront the dangers that awaited him outside of Phoebe's sanctuary.