5.) Better With You

between seasons 2 and 3

Jay walked into Bess' apartment and smiles at her asleep on the couch. After the few days he's had of Erin quitting and becoming partners with Kim, he's glad to know through all of the things changing, he has Bess. He notices her waking up and sets the breakfast and coffee he got her on the counter. He sits on the bar stool in front of her kitchen island as she gets up.

"Good morning Sleeping Beauty." She jumps as she hears his voice.

"Gosh! Make some noise please and stop being an Army ninja." Bess says, running her hand through her hair and grabbing her coffee, hugging him in thanks.

Jay's chest moves with laughter and doesn't let go until she does, getting the unspoken message. Bess drinks her coffee, sitting next to him on the other bar stool. He passes her the breakfast he got her and her eyes light up in delight, "I love you so much right now."

Jay's smile never leaves his face for the rest of their breakfast.

After they get done eating, she notices something. "Nice beard you're growing."

Jay rubs his chin, "Thank you. Adam thinks I look like a clown."

Bess grins, "Of course he does. Although I like you clean shaven, I like you with it too."

Jay smiles softly at her then remembers something, "You don't have work today right?"

"No, i'm off Saturday, Sunday and Monday's. Why?"

"Go get dressed. I have a suprise for you."

Bess smiles confusedly at him but goes into her room, "Anything in particular I should wear?"

"Casual." Jay calls out looking at his phone, checking the time.

Once they leave and get in his truck, "Where are you taking me?"

"We never had a date that we actually planned so I figured we would go on our first date."

"We are so doing all of this backwards." Bess laughed loudly, the sound filling Jay's ears with joy, making him smile.

"Normal's boring right?"

"True but some of it's not." Bess disagreed with him.

"Okay some of it's not. Especially if it's with the right person."

"Exactly! Like laying on the couch reading or just watching TV with the people or person you love." Bess smiled at Jay.

They got to where Jay was taking her and when she saw the sign, her face lit up in happiness, "Mini golf?"

"I wasn't sure where to take you and I didn't think you would like the movies or just going out to dinner because we've done that already."

"I love it!" Bess leaned over and kissed his cheek then got out of the car, Jay getting out after her, smiling.

Once they got to the last hole, Bess lined up her shot. "Who's winning?" She asked, looking up.

"Me but you're close to beating me." Jay looked up from the scorecard to look at Bess, lining up her club with the ball.

Bess swung her club and both watched, one in victory the other in shock as the ball went into the hole.

"Hole in one baby! Woo!" Bess cheered as Jay looked at her.

"Are you kidding me!" He said as he took her club and she grabbed her golf ball to take back to the people working at the golf station.

Bess grinned all the way back to the car.