Chapter 4: The Gamestation

Two months after the incident, we're back where we were at the prologue, and the candidates for Experiment 1188 are being tested today.

Two months had passed since the accident. Theo had recovered from his injuries, but not from his trauma. He had lost his memory, his friend, and his happiness. He had gained nightmares, fear, and pain. He had become a different person, a broken person.

That day, Stella Greyber assembled the children to announce who was being taken to be used for the Bigger Body Initiative.

The other children were manipulated to see it as a reward, but Theo remembered what his old friend had said. 

They were treacherous and painful experiments that turned the children into living monsters.

The children were nothing but test subjects, guinea pigs, toys. 

"This week, twelve of you have been chosen to receive a Bigger Body! Now, for anyone who's scared, don't be. It'll be just like having superpowers!" Stella announced to the children.

Stella read out the list, evading Theo's attention until...

"Theodore Grambell," Stella read out from the list.

Theo was shocked, he was scared.

"Now, kids, let's all wish your 12 friends luck! Say goodbye kids!" Stella said joyfully.

"BYE!" The children in the crowd respond, waving to the chosen kids as they were taken out of Playcare.

Theo and the others were lead down to the Gamestation, a secret facility where Playtime Co. conducted their experiments. He and the 11 other children had been told that they were going to play games, but they were actually going to be tested, monitored, and manipulated. They had been given numbers, not names. They had been given devices, not toys. They had been given orders, not choices.

They had been given no escape.

Theo was Number 006, which reminded him of what he called his friend, 1006. He had been given a special device, a headset, the purpose of such headset was not stated by staff. They wanted to use his heart.

The other children were excited, but knew as little as Theo did what the true intentions of this test were.

The staff referred to the tests as 'games', even though they were obviously used for analysing the children's memory skills, strength, and agility.

The games were the only thing that kept Theo going, that gave him some joy, some hope, some meaning. The games were the only thing that made him feel alive, that made him feel human, that made him feel happy.

The children had to do these games for hours on end.

There were three games that Theo and the others had to play, each one more challenging and fun than the last. They were:

- Musical Memory: A game where he had to remember patterns of sounds and colors, and repeat them on a keyboard. The patterns got longer and harder as he progressed. He had to use his ears, his eyes, and his brain. He loved this game, because it reminded him of his drawings, his sketches, his art.

- Whack a Wuggy: A game where he had to hit Huggy Wuggy plushies that popped out of holes, using a hammer. The plushies got faster and more numerous as he progressed. He had to use his hands, his reflexes, and his strength. He hated this game, because it reminded him of the men, the guns, the shock.

- Statues: A game where he had to escape a maze without being caught by PJ Pug-a-Pillar, a giant caterpillar that chased him. The catch was that he could only move when the lights were on, and had to freeze when the lights were off. The maze got bigger and more complex as he progressed. He had to use his feet, his speed, and his courage. He feared this game, because it reminded him of the door, the devices, the lock.

Despite this, Theo was successful in all of these tasks. He had a natural talent for games, a gift for puzzles, a knack for challenges. He had impressed the scientists, the staff, and the other children. He had earned their praise, their respect, and their envy.

He had also earned their attention.

They watched him closely, carefully, eagerly. They recorded his every move, his every reaction, his every emotion. They analyzed his data, his brainwaves, his heartbeat. They looked for clues, signs, signals.

They thought that Theo might be the best of these children in what they wanted in Experiment 1188.

They did not know that the prototype was also impressed. They did not know that the prototype was alive. They did not know that the prototype was watching the boy.

They did not know that the prototype was waiting for him.