XXV- hold me

"I'll come pick you up later, okay?"

Dana nodded and made her way through the double doors of the hospital reception as Billy drove out of the parking lot. The trees outside whizzed past him as he tried to drive quickly to not be late for school, not that he particularly cared but he didn't need another lecture from his dad.

He had been driving Dana to and from the hospital all week and so far there had been little progress; her mom was in pretty bad condition, multiple tubes connected to her and only waking up for small amounts of time. Things weren't looking good from what Billy could understand between whispered conversations of nurses but Dana was still hopeful and he didn't want to break her spirit.

They hadn't talked about the party or the argument that had went down and he was grateful. He didn't need to be told what he already knew and he wanted to focus on being there for her and feeling useful.

He pulled into the almost full parking lot and parked up at his usual spot, people knew better than to try and take it from him. He got out the car and made his way to the front doors ignoring the students around him whispering to each other. There had been rumours circling ever since the party about him, Dana and Steve and the fact she had been absent all week had only heightened those theories.

"How is she doing?" Robin asked quietly as he grabbed his stuff from his locker.

"Same as yesterday" He replied in a hushed tone so no one could eavesdrop "She's just on auto pilot"

She had spent the whole week doing the same routine; waking up, forcing a granola bar down her throat, spending the day at the hospital and going to bed when she got home. She wanted to spend as much time with her mom as she could even if she was unaware of her presence.

"I got all her missed classwork from her teachers, not that she'll be in the mindset of course but I figured that it would be a good idea to you know-"

"Thanks" Billy smiled cutting off her rambling "She'll appreciate it"

The sound of Steve's laughter echoed in his ears and his jaw locked watching him lean against his locker laughing with Tommy and the other jocks. Robin knew exactly what was going through Billy's mind, she was also disappointed in Steve's behaviour and how he hadn't gone to check on Dana or her mom at all.

She knew that Billy wasn't even her real boyfriend now yet he'd been doing more to help out than her best friend since childhood. He didn't need to, they weren't tied in any means but he was anyway and Robin respected him a lot for it which was more than she could say for Steve.

The day passed by as boring as the day before, Billy missed Dana but he knew she was doing the right thing by being at the hospital.

He pulled his car keys out his pocket ready to go pick up Dana and take her home. His body collided with another and he stumbled back slightly and looked up at the culprit.

"Watch where you're going" Steve spat rolling his eyes.

"Watch who you're talking to" Billy warned.

Steve let out a light chuckle at his attempts to threaten him and make him run off. He wasn't scared of Billy and quite frankly wanted nothing more than to wipe his stupid smirk off his face.

Steve tried to walk away and avoid any chance of conflict to arise, just when he thought they'd started maybe being friends, it turned out it was all a lie; a big scheme for Dana to play puppeteer and get what she wanted.

"You could at least visit her, man" Billy said stopping him in his tracks.

"I don't need to do anything, especially not when she lied to my face for weeks" Steve replied.