Chapter 2: Van Horn

Haukea sailed for the past week as she noticed the drastic decline in temperature. To her, it was freezing but that gave her an idea for her first accomplishment. Haukea was met with a foggy, dusty, strange atmosphere. It was extremely different than her old home. Her canoe took a pit stop as it stopped at a dock. Haukea looked around and observed the people walking around. Surrounding her, there were multiple tall buildings. Haukea grabbed her stuff and stepped out of her canoe and onto the hard dock. There was a man leaning against a wall. He seemed to be resting with his hat covering his eyes while his hands were folded over his stomach.

"Excuse me?" Haukea said to the man as she walked over to him.

"Yes, ma'am?" The man responded but kept the same position. The man had a heavy southern accent and didn't seem to much care.

"Where...is this?" Haukea asked him while slightly struggling to speak.

"You're in the town of Van Horn." The man answered as Haukea looked up at the building behind the man. There was a sign that read Van Horn Trading Post under two windows. She looked back down at the man and thanked him. Then before anyone could say anything Haukea ran off. She gained lots of stares and a couple of laughs. She finally made it to a building that had a sign which read General Store as she crept inside.

"Oh great, what are you? An Indian?" A store clerk behind the counter said to Haukea rudely.

"A what?" Haukea asked him extremely confused as she closed the door behind her.

"You ought to cover yourself up, darling." Another worker said who was eavesdropping while he was coming out of the back room.

"That's what I intend to do." Haukea told them. The second worker pushed the catalogue that was resting on the counter closer to her. Haukea opened the catalogue to the clothing section. There was one outfit that she seemed to like. It was a pretty simple outfit, one belt, two holsters that came with a beige buttoned shirt, jeans, and lastly, a light blue vest that had very subtle designs.

"Can I buy this one?" She asked as she pointed to the outfit while looking back up at both of them. One of them snickered while Haukea became dumbfounded.

"That's a man's outfit," The store clerk said to her while Haukea placed a gold pocket watch on the counter. The 2 workers paused as they looked at the watch and then back at her.

"Is this enough?" Haukea asked as her mouth slightly curved into a smile. The 2 men cleared their throats as one of them went to the back. Then came back with the clothes.

"Here you go, ma'am." The man slid her a long box.

"Thank you." Haukea gently snatched the box off the counter while slightly grinning. She walked out of the general store and decided that she needed a horse. Haukea quickly changed. Her outfit came with a Stetson hat which she swiftly placed it on her head and tipped it downwards. Haukea was pretty proud of her new look while she made her way to the Van Horn stables. She cleared her throat and began speaking to the person managing the horses.

"Um, excuse me?" She asked as she walked into the large barn and was greeted by an old looking man wearing overalls and gloves.

"What can I do for you, ma'am?" The man said to her as he brushed his gloved hands on his overalls.

"I would like to purchase a horse." She asked taking a look at some of them.

"Sure, have a look, Miss." The stable manager held his hand out displaying some of the awaiting horses in their stables. Haukea browsed through the different horses. She found one that she seemed to like, it was pretty average sized and its coat was a light silver with a black mane.

"Can I purchase this one?" Haukea requested as she turned her head towards the stable manager. He then opened the horses gate and gave Haukea all the things she needed. Then she was off, finally beginning her journey for a better future.