Chapter 7

You suddenly wake.

The absence of light robs you of your sight. The weight of the dark pushes in on you. Even your hands didn't know where they began. Who knew losing one of the five human senses could feel this crippling. It was then you finally understood the essence of true darkness. Theres an icy chill lingering in the air. The silence is eerie. You've been here before.

There's a 'tinking' noise that grabs your attention. A light bulb flickers at a distance. Its warm hue burns a soft orange.

Tink....tink....tink. The light goes on and off. On and off. Tink....tink....tink.

You take a step forward. The light turns off. When the light flicks on again, there's a murky figure. Off, on, the light continues to flicker. You could have swore each time the light turned back on, this shadowy person appears closer and closer. The light turns off again. It's a type of terror that devoured every last bit of your confidence. Your brain tells you to run but your body is paralyzed by fear. The light flicks on. No one is there, except for the heat of the voice suddenly at your ear.

"Dn't yu rmmbr m..............."

"Y/N!"

"Y/n." Yuta shakes you gently, "Hey.....(y/n)."

Your eyes slowly blink open to a droop. The dead of the night left this room unsaturated and colored in monochromes of gray. It only took a few seconds, you shoot up and your eyes frantically hunt around the room for anything different; any silhouettes that may be lurking in the dark. But nothing was out of the ordinary. All you could find is the safety of Okkotsu Yuta watching you from the floor of this guest room.

"Yuta?" Your hand goes to an eye and you attempt to rub away the drowsiness.

"Are you okay?" The man kneels next to the bed that you're currently sitting on, "You were mumbling in your sleep."

Your hand drops back down to your side. The cold sweat begins to evaporate and your gaze goes to the mat on the floor where he was likely resting. Given the current circumstances, the two of you were requested to stay at Tokyo Jujutsu High for the time being. Unfortunately all the rooms but one was taken, so the two of you were forced to share. And, of course, as a gentleman he lets you have the bed.

"Was I?" Your mind tries to recall the repeating dream. It was always the same with some slight differences. That voice, it seems a bit familiar but you're not exactly sure where you've heard it before.

"Is it that dream again?" He asks but you don't answer.

Your clothes and uniform were soiled and in the process of getting cleaned by the school. Gojo was nice enough to offer you his expensive undershirt before escorting you out of the infirmary. The white-haired sorcerer even tried to dress you himself but that action earned him a slap to the head before you snatch away the kind gesture from his hand. And yes, you put the shirt on yourself but not before ordering him to turn around. And not before promising you that he won't sneak a peek either. The man's already seen enough.

Your head hits the pillow as you lay down and your hand immediately goes to the burgeoning ache at your chest where the heart lies beneath. You make a noise to depict the discomfort that you've forgotten about in your state of deep sleep. Gojo's shirt is so large on you that the neck line plunged below your sternum and some of the scars lay visible.

Yuta moves your hand away. The man's curious to see what's causing you such pain and he becomes disheartened once his eyes land on the defacement adorning your skin. These marks will be a reminder to him of the suffering you faced due to his own self-induced incompetencies. He only blames himself for not being there sooner and for not being stronger than he may already be. Although, no one's truly at fault here. The man's heavy-hearted expression is difficult to hide and it shows from the moisture building in his eyes.